Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Mister Lincoln'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mister Lincoln
Additional cultivar information:(PP2370, aka Mr. Lincoln)
Hybridized by Swim-Weeks

Patent expired

Other Details:

Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Pansey, Alabama

Prattville, Alabama

Bullhead City, Arizona

Goodyear, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (4 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Santa Rosa, California

Vallejo, California

Winnetka, California

Yorba Linda, California

Denver, Colorado (2 reports)

Durango, Colorado

Council Bluffs, Iowa

Shawnee Mission, Kansas

Newport, Kentucky

Symsonia, Kentucky

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Boyce, Louisiana

Baxter, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Maryville, Tennessee

Brazoria, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Elgin, Texas

Caledonia, Wisconsin

Kenosha, Wisconsin

negative

On May 25, 2015, DocBotany from Camby, IN wrote:

I always received compliments on my Mr Lincoln rose. It is the quintessential red rose. I am not fond of the fragrance as it is very strong rosy smell. I Much prefer the scent of JFK hybrid tea rose.
And to Botfeeder: the reason Mr Lincoln doesn't flower as profusely as your Drop Dead Red rose is they are different types of roses. Drop Dead Red is a floribunda rose. They by nature bloom more profusely. Mr Lincoln is a Hybrid Tea. Hybrid Tea roses do not have as many flowers, however the flowers are larger.

On May 1, 2015, botfeeder from Vancouver, WA wrote:

I've had a couple of these for a couple years now and I'm not happy with it because it blooms very little. I have a rose that has similar flowers, the Drop Dead Red by Weeks, and it blooms profusely. I put my two Lincolns in a prominent spot in my garden, but they just haven't performed, so I am going to put something else in there, probably a different variety of rose, although I haven't decided on one yet.

On Aug 25, 2013, kathleen_joy from PESHASTIN, WA wrote:

Mr. Lincoln was the first rose I ever purchased. I was captivated by the velvety crimson roses with the full old fashoined scent. I live in Gold Bar WA at the time. It was planted by the steps of the front porch and didn't get any special treatment. It did pretty well for leaving it to grow on it's own. A couple of years later we were in a club called Gleaners and we had lots of sour milk. I got the idea to try boring a shovel handle size hole about a foot from the base and poured the sour milk in as we got it. Actually, by then we had a few roses so they all got some. That spring the Mr. Lincoln burst into growth and bloom! It must have been 8 feet high, lots of thick healthy branches, lots of wonderful blooms. I've thought about burying fish heads, etc, too. Haven't had the "guts" to try... read more

On May 29, 2013, midgey from Denver, CO wrote:

a must in all colorado gardens. let it be known this is a rose that grows magnificently in our climate. mine is 23 years old and going as if it were 5 years old. love this rose and loves our hot dry beautiful climate. i do not even mulch over this beauty, it is that hardy. i have given away many many many cuttings i rooted, from hard wood no less.

On Feb 20, 2013, dsd2682 from Hollywood, FL wrote:

Gotta love Mr. Lincoln. The flowers are superb and she's a great grower with very little black spot. She's even grown in partial shade for me, but I recently put her in full sun and she is really thriving. I do admit she has a tendency to be a "one cane wonder" she's very tall but not very wide. But she's easy to care for and even though she blooms only 3-4 flowers at at time she's still a great rose. She's my husband's favorite. Very fragrant but not quite red here in the south. She tends to lean towards red violet in color. But gotta love her for her fragrance and long lasting blooms. In the vase she's one of my longest lasting roses going for at least 7 days! A great rose for South Florida!

On May 19, 2012, corik from Scarsdale New York
United States wrote:

Cannot pass by this rose without stopping to have a sniff! You can see it from far away because it is sooo big it looks like a dark red top hat! I only have it for 2 years but it is finally giving me several buds at a time instead of just one. it would be great if someone would post advice on how to properly prune Mr. Lincoln to maximize budding. Mine is also a one cane wonder, and no new canes have popped out yet.

On Feb 20, 2012, Trollius from Girdwood, AK wrote:

This is a spectacular rose. Sometimes he surprises me in the greenhouse by blooming early. I know it is blooming the second I open the greenhouse door by the wonderful scent. As soon as the weather begins to warm, I take Mr. Lincoln outside where he sits proudly by the greenhouse door. Frequently he surprises me by blooming again later in our "summer". Susan(in Alaska)

On Aug 22, 2011, dfwpaul from Dallas, TX wrote:

This plant was a gift I planted in a 3 foot pot. Once established, it is amazingly hardy! Here in Dallas, Texas, it blooms from new canes more frequently I cut the stems as the buds are just opening and take them inside - or the heat will fade them to purple-red in 2 days time. As a cut flower, they last remarkably well. Recutting every other day... blooms stay nearly a week.

Although the plant is not an abundant bloomer, it really makes a bold statement in great red color and rich fragrance. I really like that it makes me really look like I know what I'm doing growing roses! Thank goodness it thrives largely on it own!

On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have tried several Mr. Lincoln roses over the years before giving up on them. The bush is tall and gangly, with a typical hybrid-tea form, and it never seems to get more than two or three blooms at one time.

The flower is of course gorgeous and it does have a strong fragrance. When the neighbor kid raided my roses (with permission) to impress his girl, I noticed that he took the Mr. Lincolns. But the color does not last; it fades toward purple in just a couple of days, and is not attractive in its purple form.

The biggest problem with Mr. Lincoln was always getting it through the Wisconsin winter. Even when the rose was boxed up and buried in ground, only two inches of stems at the very bottom would survive. Every Mr. Lincoln I ever had eventually succu... read more

On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Another one of my all-time favorite roses. A deep beautiful red bloom. This rose will continue to perform year after year without problems. I always clip the rose off when it is just about ready to open. Can't go wrong with Mr. Lincoln in your garden.

On May 5, 2010, OITGAD from Hicksville, NY wrote:

I am not a rosarian by any stretch of the imagination...but I love to garden and I really love this rose - I don't get many blooms but the few I do are magnificent. The scent...that beautiful rose scent that reminds me of when I was a child...happier halcyon days gone by. I have it planted right outside my kitchen window...so I can watch it bloom and have that wonderful scent come right into the house. I do need to spray it to get black spot under control but it's worth the effort.

I loved reading the comments here...brought a knowing smile to my face as I read each and every one.

On Oct 13, 2009, SerenaSYH from Overland Park-Kansas City, KS wrote:

I am absolutely crazy about Mr. Lincoln's fragrance. It just takes one bloom on a bush to carry its beautiful scent 8' to 15' away. The fragrance just wafts into the breeze. I have to wait until Mr. Lincoln blooms before the bees will come to my garden.

The blooms are huge (can be as large as 6" across), the fragrance is unbelievable! However Mr. Lincoln needs to be fed with my Gardenville Sea Tea-- at the rose forum he is notorious for being that "one-cane wonder" but thanks to the Sea Tea I never! have this problem with my Lincolns- they have lots of multiple canes and they are very tall as well!

I fondly call my Lincolns, my Spartan 300 warriors. They will beat any rose in terms of fragrance. It just takes those few select blooms to outperform a multitude o... read more

On Jun 10, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

mr. lincoln and i have had some problems in the past. I noticed he was about to die. I figured out he was not to comfortable with the location, so I moved him to a sunnier spot. This spot he gets at least 8hours, if not more of sun daily. So now he is better, giving off 2 new canes, also two blooms that were beautiful. Lush red blooms that are approx 5-6" in width. Strong 18-22" upright stems. Perfect for a bouquet and long lasting as a cut flower, but slight to no scent. So far no problems with mildew or b.s. winter hardy to zone 6.

monniemon

On May 18, 2009, richkurt from San Diego, CA wrote:

I have had this rose for going on twenty years, in pot no less!! Grows well over 6 foot every year, and blooms wonderfully! As you all know, the fragrance is remarkable. This is a favorite!

On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 2370 has expired

On Jun 20, 2008, GeeLily from Mission

Even if you're not a rose fan, this one is a valuable addition to the garden. Long stemmed, long lasting, rich, velvety blooms on a very vigorous bush. Reblooms all summer as long as I keep cutting. Takes from cuttings easily. The occasional black spot, but nothing noticeable really. VERY healthy shrub! Smells nice (typical tea rose scent), but not particularly strong unless you have a big bouquet. Hips uninteresting. Overall winner!

On Apr 16, 2008, sthwnd from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We are growing this rose for the first time. When we bought it in the container, we had to see someone at a car lot. 20 minutes later when we were done & got back in our own car, the whole CAR smelled heavenly! Blooms are rich red, that look like velvet or brushed satin, with glossy leaves. I have read everyone's reviews, & hope mine does as well as expected from the performance reviews thus far. I had always wanted a "real" red rose, & it looks like I certainly chose the right one the first time out.

On May 30, 2005, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This was my late Grannys favorite rose. I am growing one for the first this year and cut my first bloom yesterday! I had forgotten how awesome this rose smells- and looks. I hadn't seen or smelled one in close to 20 yrs. So far it seems very healthy and is loaded down with buds.

On May 27, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Peforms well here. Fragrance is one of the best. Gets very tall. Tendency to sucker rather badly.

On May 21, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose has one of the best fragrances in the garden. It's strong and can is almost always present. This rose has a great form and the blooms are as pretty as they are scented. The only drawback is that the blooms tend to blue as they age.

On Apr 17, 2005, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is what a rose is supposed to smell like! Ideal!

On Feb 16, 2005, JulieGeek from Elgin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow Mr. Lincoln in Elgin, TX.

This bush is probably the most vigorous rosebush I have. I prune it down to 3' and it STILL grows up over the top of the house. Great form--nice and urn-like. Blooms are huge and very fragrant. I do get some black spot, but not even CLOSE to enough to impact the health of this brute. As a note, I don't spray at all.

I thought red roses were pretty ho-hum til Mr. Lincoln started showing his stuff.

On Mar 31, 2004, spiderphish from Bremerton, WA wrote:

I love this rose's abilty to take cuttings! Here in Wash. state I have no problem taking my fall trimmings and sticking them in my rose bed.The only thing I do is make sure it's cut diagonally at a node,chew the tip and stick it in the dirt!.I cover with hay for the winter, and in March when I remove last years leaves and the straw, I almost always have new rose bushes started.
To avoid black spot I make sure there are no leaves in the bed, and I remove last years leaves in March.
Love it !!

On Nov 9, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

If I could only grow one rose, this would be it. Its fragrance is fabulous - it makes beautiful, perfect blooms. It is a long-stemmed rose, good for cutting. In my yard, even in a container, it blooms year round, time after time after time. If I didn't prune it, it would be 7' tall in a 24" pot!

On Aug 3, 2003, Shelly221 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is one good smelling rose! I have really enjoyed it, and it has rebloomed 3 times this year for me. Next to the lilacs I have, I would have to say its one of my favorites.

On Aug 17, 2001, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Buds are long and pointed and open to large full blooms. One to a stem. Very deep velvety red frequently with a splash of deep golden yellow showing up sporatically on some petals. It is discribed as a "tea and Damask" fragrance by the grower. I just say it smells good! Glossy dark green foliage. Suceptible to rust and black spot here in the coastal damp I had better results inland with this one.