PlantFiles: Rieger Begonia, Elatior Begonia, Winter-flowering Begonia
Begonia x hiemalis 'Asani'

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: x hiemalis (hy-EH-may-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Asani

Thumbnail #1 of Begonia x hiemalis by zone5girl

By Pashta
Thumbnail #2 of Begonia x hiemalis by Pashta

Positive Pashta On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant was first an indoor plant, where it didnt do very well, and then I moved it outside. At first I thought I had burned it, but then it came back with a vengence, got huge and gorgeous in about 6 weeks. I then took it to work, and put it in a large window where it got plenty of sun and kept it watered. I didnt know they were susceptable to spider mites, but they are, and I had to cut it completely to the ground, which made me cry. I had to apply insecticidal soap, which did the trick for a while, but I again had to cut all the growth back. It is starting to come back again now, and looks better than it has in a while.

What I learned from this:
1.) begonias suffer from spider mites. insecticidal soap does not really hurt the plant, but it does not hurt the mites much either.
2.) Cutting them back apparently does not hurt the plant much either, as it will grow right back in time.
3.) full sun or mostly full sun is good for the plant. at least, its good for mine. so is plenty of water, but I dont let it stand in water, I just keep it nice and moist.

I think this begonia is in tihs same family, though the color is different so I think maybe a different cultivar. The blooms have the same shape, so they seem like they are related to me. If I am wrong, let me know please!

Brevard, North Carolina