Rieger Begonia, Elatior Begonia, Winter-flowering Begonia
Begonia x hiemalis 'Asani'

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: x hiemalis (hy-EH-may-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Asani
» View all varieties of Begonias

Classification:

Tuberous

Coral/Apricot

Brevard, North Carolina

positive

On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant was first an indoor plant, where it didnt do very well, and then I moved it outside. At first I thought I had burned it, but then it came back with a vengence, got huge and gorgeous in about 6 weeks. I then took it to work, and put it in a large window where it got plenty of sun and kept it watered. I didnt know they were susceptable to spider mites, but they are, and I had to cut it completely to the ground, which made me cry. I had to apply insecticidal soap, which did the trick for a while, but I again had to cut all the growth back. It is starting to come back again now, and looks better than it has in a while.

What I learned from this:
1.) begonias suffer from spider mites. insecticidal soap does not really hurt the plant, but it does not hurt the mit... read more