PlantFiles: Mimosa Tree, Silk Tree
Albizia julibrissin 'Rosea'

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Albizia (al-BIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: julibrissin (joo-lih-BRISS-in) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By Kelli

Thumbnail #6 of Albizia julibrissin by RosinaBloom

By vince
Thumbnail #7 of Albizia julibrissin by vince

Negative Minoupazzo On May 29, 2014, Minoupazzo from Oakland, CA wrote:

There were two of these beauties in our backyard when we moved in. Although pretty, I only enjoy this tree in the winter months as it is messy and sticky from April-November where I live in Northern CA. Once the fern like leaves sprout they never stop dropping. The trees cover EVERYTHING with a sticky white pollen as soon as the leaves begin to sprout. And then come the blossoms... the sticky pink blossoms that turn a sickly brown, often before they even fall off the tree and clump everywhere, covering all my other trees and plants. I'm not even going to talk about the pods and seeds since this subject has been sufficiently covered. I can't enjoy my deck or my backyard and I'm constantly cleaning. The sticky pollen will make your shoes attract all leaves, dirt and blossoms like velcro. Walking barefoot on a warm day? Not around these trees! I'm afraid they will never stop growing and will soon destroy my foundation. They may be pretty but make everything else around them ugly and dirty. Planting one of these on purpose would be foolhardy and in my opinion downright insane!

Positive nowandagain1 On Jul 13, 2013, nowandagain1 from Marysville, OH wrote:

I have the cold hardy 'Rosea' Mimosa growing next to my acre pond here in Marysville, Ohio and I have to say it is beautiful. The fluffy pink flowers are open from May to August and look lovely against the blue water of the pond. They smell delightful and the lace leaf foliage is attractive. My tree is about six years old and so far I haven't seen any other Mimosa come up. The area around the pond is mowed so this could make a difference. I live in zone 5-6.

Positive KennyC98 On Aug 26, 2010, KennyC98 from Puyallup, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Despite fallen leaves, flowers, and pods in late fall and early winter, ours is a beautiful tree about 40 years old and about that tall. Blooms every year around mid-August. Sends up suckers around base of tree which I cut back. Have never noticed any seedlings sprouting from fallen pods as it is planted in the lawn and cleaned up weekly. I am going to try and propagate from seeds this winter.

Negative plortho On Jun 29, 2009, plortho from Greensboro, NC wrote:

Horribly invasive tree! Neighbors had one, 30ft tall; it's seedlings were a constant chore to remove from amongst shrubs and beside native trees. Propagates like crazy. Establishes quickly and is very difficult to kill/pull up. Drops trash everywhere. in short, a menace...PLEASE DON'T PLANT...

Neutral jadajoy On May 20, 2009, jadajoy from Newport News, VA (Zone 11) wrote:

This tree grows wild here and is considered a weed tree. It pops up all over the place is considered undersirable. I tried to cut one down in my yard but it keeps coming back. I then cut it off midway and stuck the hard stem in the ground to use as a stake and it took root and grew back. So I just let it grow.Persistent little bugger:-) The pink flower is very attractive.

Positive abitabar On Jun 24, 2007, abitabar from Abita Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

The flowers of the mimosa are lovely and delicate - pink powder puffs. They also give off a delightful, delicate scent. I have heard of the wilt problem but am happy to say that my trees have not experienced it (knock on wood). They flower even when small so I would advise you to try them. In my area I see them growing wild on the side of the road.

Neutral ZZsBabiez On Oct 15, 2005, ZZsBabiez from Lodi, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This tree is sometimes plagued with a vascular wilt disease particularly destructive on many Mimosa throughout the south. This usually ends up killing the tree to the ground and then it resprouts back with numerous suckers.
People have a affinity for this tree, it is amazingly graceful.
Hardy in to zone 6, but will likely be killed back or damaged during winters north of this zone.

Arcadia, California