PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium 'Sweet Pea Currant'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: pimpinellifolium (pim-pi-nel-ih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Pea Currant

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium by audsrz

By StillPlaysWDirt
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium by StillPlaysWDirt

Positive SoilNToil On Mar 21, 2014, SoilNToil from Columbus, OH wrote:

Fine branches with lacy little leaves. Very small tomato, maybe half the size of an average cherry tomato. surprisingly sweet tomatoey flavor in a tiny package. Not bland at all. Absolutely love it. Perfect for tossing in a salad without having to cut it. Most of them don't make it into the house, however. They're so good for popping in your mouth right in the garden. I grew this plant in a 5 gal pot last year, in partial sun, and it grew and grew and produced and produced. I didn't even stake it. Just let it grow wild and stretch it's long tresses down along the ground. Being in the pot kept it from going TOO crazy, I think. I'd say the branches filled about a foot and a half diameter around the pot. It has become a favorite of my youngest daughter, who loves nothing better than to pick and eat tomatoes while helping Mom in the garden. Its on my short must-grow list every year.

Positive Lumpyspiv On Aug 5, 2013, Lumpyspiv from No City
Bulgaria wrote:

Grew these for the first time this year as a novelty for our neighbours (we try to grow something odd every year as a novelty) & they were fantastic! Wife likes them tossed into salads, I like them tossed into pasta. Either way, grew well, nothing special & came up so easy.

Positive jab91864 On Sep 14, 2006, jab91864 from Northern Michigan, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought the seeds from Tomato Growers. The seeds sprouted well enough that I had some extra plants to give away to friends. Loads of tiny pea sized tomatoes but BIG on flavor !!! Rave reviews from everyone I've shared them with. Most ppl seem skeptical because of the size but once they taste them they have a whole new outlook. Grab a handful and start munching, just like snack mix !!

Positive DrDoolotz On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I just love these tiny little gems of flavour. They're great on salads or thrown onto a pizza prior to cooking. They are really full of flavour for their size. The plants are very vigorous and they grew all in-between and around my other tomato plants. Next time I would keep them further away. The leaves are a little smaller and finer than usual regular tomato leaves. I grew them from seed. Rarely cracks. I got the seeds from Seed Savers. Their website describes this tomato as follows: "The best red currant tomato we can offer to gardeners. Hundreds of fruits per plant. Excellent clean tomato flavor. Fruits borne in trusses of 10-12 and do not drop off the vine. Indeterminate 75-80 day from transplant."

Sierra Vista, Arizona