Bush Bean 'Royal Burgundy'

Phaseolus vulgaris

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phaseolus (FAZ-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Royal Burgundy

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Freeport, Texas

Spokane, Washington

On Oct 18, 2014, WeezyG from Brainerd, MN wrote:

I've grown these in my garden the last two summers and they're my favorite, I will always grow these. They are a bit slower to get going than Provider green or Rodcor yellow beans I grew along side of them, but once they got going I had an abundance of them. I picked them very heavily when they first started, they slowed down for a couple weeks but then came back strong again. They seem to have a bit stronger "beany" taste to them. I have also been told they are richer in antioxidants than other beans. These are very popular with friends and family that we share them with.

On Aug 12, 2014, CrowMeris from Greene, NY wrote:

We have had a good harvest from Royal Burgundy; this is our first year growing it, and it will not be the last. The purple beans are tasty at any stage, and are easy to find among the lush, sturdy foliage.
This variety seems to be less susceptible to Japanese beetle damage than Kentucky Blue Lake Bush, at least it is in our garden. YMMV.

On Aug 18, 2013, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant grows well in my garden. The yield is about average, but the taste is very good, which is a real bonus. The main reason I grow colored beans is because they are easier to see at picking time. This plant will not disappoint you.

On Jun 30, 2012, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The plants, beans, and blooms are all attactive in the garden. The beans are purple when you pick them but soon after they are heated while cooking, they turn green and stay green never showing a hint of purple again. I really like they way that they cook-up and taste but I have not been too impressed with the production. Flavor alone, they are the best that I have tasted but I get better production out of my Blue Lake 274. I may have to grow some every year just because they taste so good but this does not change my overall rating.
One thing that I am not fond of with this variety is that some of these beans have strings in them and some do not. I am partial to the stringless varieties rather than having to snap and sting them before cooking. I still do not understand why s... read more

On Mar 25, 2011, Pitcom from Avondale, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have been growing these for a couple of years now with great success. The yield is fantastic, and taste is the same. A 32 sq ft plot of these easily fed 3 people for the summer, with enough left over to freeze for the winter. I enjoy these much more than the Kentucky wonders that I had been growing. Mexican bean beetles are rampant in my area of the mid-atlantic and really enjoy trying to eat this plant. I grow over a dozen bush/pole beans each year and the beetles go after this particular bush first.

On Jul 2, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is the first year to grow these and I am really impressed with the yeild of the plant. It out produces my old standby Kentucky Wonder and even the pole beans I have planted don't do as well as this one. We have little rain and this baby is still going..
Great bean and I will plant it again...

On Jul 14, 2007, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

My first year with this and I am also pleased with its good growth, good looks, yield and flavor.

On Aug 22, 2005, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is our first season for growing these tender, tasty beans which we harvest when they reach 5-6" in length. The plants add colorful interest to the veggie garden whilst also being very productive. Will definitely grow these again!

On Dec 18, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Royal Burgundy introduced as an improved version of Royalty. Purple pods are slightly larger and the plant is more prolific. A very good snap bean.

On Aug 31, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very prolific producer of tender pod snap beans. Young beans are stringless. Beautiful purple-green leaves with purple stems, various shades of purple flowers, purple pods that turn green when cooked. I have grown this variety for 4 seasons and have never been disappointed in the results.