PlantFiles: Sunflower
Helianthus annuus 'Kong'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Helianthus (hee-lee-AN-thus) (Info)
Species: annuus (AN-yoo-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Kong

Not Applicable

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #5 of Helianthus annuus by jmorth

By jmorth
Thumbnail #6 of Helianthus annuus by jmorth

Positive jmuli On Sep 23, 2008, jmuli from Denver, CO wrote:

This was my second season planting "Kong". Awesome! Some I let grow to over 10ft tall, others I kept trimmed -4ft (the leaves grew -4ft but the flowers grew above the fence about 1-2ft. Two way different looks from the same plant. I'll have to buy more seeds for next year as the squirrels totally destroy the flowers as soon as the have anything close to seeds. These will be on my property always. Guests from 3 or 4 properties away can be heard saying how awesome they are as they can be seen towering above any fence. The massive leaves make for great privacy.

Positive zville123 On Feb 23, 2007, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I agree with the previous post. My husband and I were blown away by this sunflower and we've grown other sunflowers before. We plan to grow Kong every year from now on. I just wish we had had a digital camera last summer to photograph the monster. The neighbors were in awe of it LOL! This year we plan to share the seeds we managed to save (from the squirrels and birds) with the neighborhood. Should be interesting!

Positive westocast73 On Nov 21, 2005, westocast73 from (Zone 1) wrote:

10+ Foot Tall Multi-Headed Sunflower

This thing is a monster. It is a perfect sunflower for a summer hedge or sunflower house. The leaves can grow to 18 inches across and 2 feet long. One stem had a diameter of 5 inches at the end of the year when I cut it down. Most were closer to 2 or 3, but some were massive. The height for mine was typically 12 feet. The first main flower will be 18 to 24 inches wide.

The seed is big and plump. It seems to be a favorite of birds and squirrels, though, as they eat it before Early Russian or Giganteus. If you have a young child, I would highly, highly recommend growing this variety. The sheer height, size of stem and leaf size is amazing. It won't get as tall as other giants but it will produce multiple flowers and be very bushy with its leaves making perfect sunflower houses. This is by far my favorite giant sunflower, and I highly recommend that anyone try growing one or two once just to be amazed by what you can get out of a seed in one summer and total neglect. = )

Denver, Colorado