PlantFiles: Japanese Poppy
Papaver miyabeanum 'Pacino'

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Papaver (puh-PAY-ver) (Info)
Species: miyabeanum (my-yah-bee-AH-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Pacino

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Yellow

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By echoes
Thumbnail #1 of Papaver miyabeanum by echoes

By kniphofia
Thumbnail #2 of Papaver miyabeanum by kniphofia

No positives

Negative Oxblossom On Mar 2, 2012, Oxblossom from Baywood-Los Osos, CA wrote:

I'm a poppy-phile, and I'm just curious about this plant and a similar one that has a finer, lower and grayer foliage; also only tiny yellow flowers. In the nursery, a pretty reputable one, the second plant had a label that just said: "poppy." Really? That plant was last year, and we didn't have any heat to speak of here right on the coast. I have sand for soil, and some plants just don't like it, though most non-mildewing plants will do here in it if they can beat the wind and snails. It failed pretty miserably. A nurserywoman has said she knows what it is and will let me know soon, but I still don't even know if annual or perennial. I'm speaking of the second plant. It's very nearly Spring here, and at least one (from a sixpack) has been valiantly trying to live through this cold dry winter. I'll wait to see if I can update (thread?) on this site. Brand new here, sorry I don't know what plant I'm talking about, but really similar to Poppy 'Pacino.' Hey and what kind of genus/species name label is that, Mr. Grower?