PlantFiles: Wedelia
Sphagneticola trilobata 'Trailing Yellow'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sphagneticola (sfag-net-TEE-koh-luh) (Info)
Species: trilobata (try-lo-BAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Trailing Yellow

Synonym:Wedelia paludosa
Synonym:Wedelia trilobata

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

By daryl
Thumbnail #1 of Sphagneticola trilobata by daryl

Negative ransom3 On Apr 8, 2014, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

One of the most invasive plants I ever put in the ground. I started with one cutting several years ago. Now it has established itself nearly everywhere, even on the lawn.It truly loves our hot steamy climate. It must be much like its place of origin.

Positive swizass On Aug 18, 2013, swizass from Valdosta, GA wrote:

This stuff is awesome. I live in South Georgia (8b), and I needed a ground cover that thrived in dry soil and extreme heat with dappled sunlight in a wooded area in my yard. I couldn't have found a better specimen, and I found it by accident. No one in the area sells Wedelia, or even knows what it is. I stumbled upon it at a small family run nursery, who had tried it but had stopped selling it years prior because of it's invasive properties. They were still trying to get it out of their yard after it had gone stupid, and agreed to grow some cuttings for me along with dire warnings about keeping it contained. It spreads quickly and gets thicker every year, squeezing out the vines and ugly undergrowth with bright green leaves pretty yellow flowers. I'm glad I found it, as it is perfect for my purposes, but don't plant it somewhere if it needs to be contained. Once Wedelia gets a foothold, it's goes crazy.

Positive Meehlticket On May 28, 2012, Meehlticket from Daphne, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a wonderful plant for a DEEP SHADE RAIN GARDEN, but you must be able to prevent it from spreading, either by roots or adventurous stems. It roots at the leaf nodes.

Positive Toots136 On Jul 2, 2011, Toots136 from Glendale, AZ wrote:

I love this plant. I have it growing in a strip along the side of the house in full sun half the day and it has done very well. Every now and then I have to redirect a stem or 2 that wants to head for the sidewalk but other than that it is well behaved.
I saw it growing at a local hospital~they have it trimmed into small 'balls' about a foot high spaced about 18" apart and it looks great. What an idea.
Winter here in Glendale AZ last year was pretty fierce and I thought I had lost it. i pulled up the last few and potted some and put the others in water. All of them sprouted quickly. Fortunately the cold didn't kill any of them and now my strip is aglow with yellow flowers. Love it and have plenty to share, if anybody is interested, smile.

Positive ThomPotempa On Dec 10, 2010, ThomPotempa from Houston, TX wrote:

The vendor did tell me that "this stuff takes over" which is precisely what I want. I do have beds in areas which got a lot of sun, sloped, and hence were overgrown with nasty stuff like bermuda grass and typically brown during the summer.

Despite putting the cloth barriers in the ground the bermuda still lives... so certain areas of the garden need something pretty much, well, able to take over.

In the battle of wedelia v bermuda the wedelia is winning, although the bermuda is not gone yet.

To think there are folks who make a bermuda yard on purpose, even in our own neighborhood.

Positive cam2 On Oct 25, 2009, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

Glad to be able to identify this plant ~ my mother gave it to me and called it a Mexican Flame Vine, but the flowers didn't match the others on this site.

I have it on a brick deck. While it will lay down roots between the bricks, I haven't really had any problems with it trying to invade ~ it is growing in a pot with a Clerodendrum. They both die back in the deep winter, but come right back in Spring. It is constantly in flower. I really love it.

Positive Bairie On May 24, 2009, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

I like it. In Corpus Christi it can be invasive, but it makes a nice showing, grows in shade or in full sun, puts out above-ground runners that are easy to pull up when it goes out of bounds, is evergreen here, and has to be whacked down once or twice a year when it gets too tall.

Neutral steadycam3 On Dec 27, 2008, steadycam3 from Houston Heights, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My neighbor grows this plant in the shade without any type of barrier to stop it and she just uses the string trimmer on it about once per year. Mine is in full sun and boxed in on all four sides by pavement. I use the string trimmer to "edge" it periodically. This is a vigorous grower in my zone but is really useful and low maintenance as a ground cover for a median, say. I see it in yards thru out my neighborhood. I've never seen it with so many flowers as in the photos on DG. All the ones I've seen here in Houston, flower sparsely but they do flower. It is evergreen in Houston and my Monarch butterfly caterpillars attached many chrysalyses?spelling? to this low growing ground cover. It does seem a little irritating to my skin and has a pungent fragrance coming from the leaves. I use gloves to gather cuttings.

Positive cmsganoe On Oct 16, 2008, cmsganoe from Rancho Mirage, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is wonderful in a desert climate, where it's usually very difficult to grow most groundcovers. It is not invasive in a extremely dry and hot climate. If there is no water it cannot grow. It seems to do best in dappled light or morning sun. It might burn in full sun once the temperature stays above 110 for extended periods.

Negative 4xthefun On Jul 7, 2007, 4xthefun from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is awful. It takes over everything in it's path. My neighbor planted it on the fence line several years ago and it has taken over the fence and a space of about 3 feet out from the fence on either side. When we decided to try and remove it it took down part of the fence with it. Everytime we think we have conquered it it comes back with a vengence. When trimming or cutting it releases a peppery smell that is really irritating to inhale to the nasal passages.

I would say do not plant this no matter how bad you want a quick growing ground or fence cover. It attracts bugs, invades everything and is irritating to skin and nasal passages.

Negative Lem79 On Nov 11, 2006, Lem79 from Gold Coast
Australia wrote:

This plant is extremely invasive, be _very_ careful of where you plant it, as you may have enormous difficulty removing it! It's very hardy, and spreads like a bush fire. Personally I do not see the attraction to this plant.

Daphne, Alabama
Slidell, Louisiana
Winnsboro, South Carolina
Blanket, Texas
Broaddus, Texas
Corpus Christi, Texas (2 reports)
Kerrville, Texas