Informal Decorative Dahlia 'Bodacious'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Bodacious

Bothell, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Menasha, Wisconsin

On May 14, 2010, mbabbitt from Bothell, WA wrote:

This is truly a great dahlia. I grow mine in a large Whiskey barrel and it grows a huge plant with many massive flowers blooming at once. As soon as it blooms, you realize why this is a favorite of many dahlia lovers.

On Aug 5, 2008, greathorse from Gladwin, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

this is my first year growing dahlia's and this was my first bloom.WOW.... it is huge!!!!! i wish i had about a dozen of these.

On Sep 23, 2007, David_Paul from Clinton, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

First year growing Dahlais so take my comments as what they are--from someone who knows little about growing Dahlias.

Bought 9 tubers, 6 cultivars, from Parks Seeds. One never came up, two have buds but have yet to bloom (today is Sept 22--all were planted June 12th). Bodacious beat the ones which have bloomed by two weeks. They are the biggest, heathiest plants out of the 9 tubers and 6 cultivars.

How that fits into the date to bloom of a range of Dahlias, I don't know. But Bodacious is terrific for my zone (I do have full sun) and I'll grow it as long as I grow flowers. Its a real wow...everyone is impressed.

On Feb 14, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

ADS Awards: Derrill W. Hart medal

Originator: Gitts, 2002

On Jul 31, 2006, grannymarsh from Marquette, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Sturdy stems, lots of buds, stingy tuber maker. BUT, it was one of my favorite dahlias this year. It's twirling petals hid any slight insect damage. It's a big plant and needs a strong stake.

On Nov 5, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

This well-endowed hybrid is a very strong plant that has high flower production, (Flamin' flower factory!) long/strong stems for cutting, and (as I accidentally found out upon running out of real garden space) can thrive in soil where woodstove ashes are deposited. Everyone's favorite dahlia who visits my garden, and the only dahlia to successfully compete well with castor beans.