PlantFiles: Kangaroo Paw Fern
Microsorum diversifolium

Family: Polypodiaceae
Genus: Microsorum (my-kroh-SOR-um) (Info)
Species: diversifolium (dy-ver-sih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

Synonym:Microsorium diversifolium

By BlissfulGarden
Thumbnail #7 of Microsorum diversifolium by BlissfulGarden

Positive Frostsychic On Oct 11, 2013, Frostsychic from Runaway Bay
Jamaica wrote:

I bought one of these in a wire basket a few years ago because I just loved the look of the leaves... especially all the little 'seeds' that are on the leaf (like most ferns), really making it look like a paw! For the longest time I did not know the real name of the Kangaroo Paw Fern.

I find it incredibly easy to maintain & easy to propagate a new plant. Simply break off a piece of the hairy looking stem that the leaves grow out of & plant in a rich dirt... careful to keep it in full shade & moist until it 'catches'.

The hairy looking arms that it grows are so interesting! I originally set my wire basket on a 2ft. tall stump in the yard because the basket was in poor shape. Those hairy arms have now grown onto the stump & are reaching down to the ground.

I started a new plant in a plastic hanging basket & now those hairy arms have dropped down where you can see them against the basket... so pleasing to the eye!

A friend of mine has them planted as ground cover against his house... in complete shade & they are just gorgeous, thick & again such eye candy.

My average year round temps here in JA are 88F so these plants (and many others) are very easy to grow.

Positive Hoyamatta On May 25, 2011, Hoyamatta from Ann Arbor, MI wrote:

I've had this plant for around 6 months or so now and I love it. I wouldn't have bought it had it been placed on a low, flat surface, but it was hanging and when I looked up, it had all these creepy-crawly things hanging around the basket. It looked too cool not to buy! I figured it would die in a few months, but nooooooo!! It's performed beautifully. I hung it in a low-light area; it get's some indirect west window sun, but not all that much. Now the creeply-crawly things have little green shoots sprouting. It truely is a unique plant.

Positive Fires_in_motion On Jan 5, 2011, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A great plant that tolerates near-total neglect and gives a super-tropical look with its glossy, exotic leaves and crazy roots. I got mine as a baby in '05 at a Winn-Dixie grocery store on a whim; it is now somewhat huge, almost too big to be hung from the ceiling, unfortunately. It is kept inside in the winter, and I switch it between inside and outside throughout the warm months (March - Nov.). To rejuvenate the whole plant, just cut off all or most of the leaves.

Positive killdawabbit On Jul 26, 2010, killdawabbit from Christiana, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

This outrageously beautiful fern has grown so well for me. It just keeps going and going and going. I planted mine in a semi-epiphytic potting mix. I had it before I got online and had read nothing about its culture.

Positive rachwag On Jul 13, 2009, rachwag wrote:

This plant will live happily indoors with humans. I have three and they live and grow best in front of a rather large, East-facing window. They enjoy being nestled around other plants to maintain humidity levels but do not enjoy misting as much as other ferns. Keep soil moist to prevent pests. Mine live in plastic pots with drain holes (or cache pots if you want it to hang). I fertilize my Kangaroo Paws year around with liquid organic fertilizer once a month, using approx. half the recommended amount for plant feeding.

Positive houstonlisa On Jul 6, 2008, houstonlisa from Houston, TX wrote:

I first noticed this fern about 6 months ago at a garden store in The Woodlands. Purchased a nice 8" and very healthy one for about $20 Put it inside next to a regular table lamp and it thrived like crazy so bought another at a garden center and it also did great indoors next to a lamp that is on maybe 2-3 hours a day. The only other light it gets is diffused light about 15 feet from the living room windows. Found 2 huge hanging ones at a Home Improvement store on sale for only $10, so scarfed those up as well. Never fertilized (maybe should but it's doing so well without it!), just water really well about every 10 days. If outside, I'm sure it would need more water. I don't find this a messy plant at all, in fact, rarely get any dead leaves from this plant. This is by far one of my favorite indoor plants.

Positive greenthumb61 On Sep 5, 2007, greenthumb61 from Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have one in a large wrought iron basket that seems to be thriving quite well. It's a very thirsty plant, and although the coco fiber liner of the basket lets it dry out quicker, I think it likes the increased air it receives to the roots. I was in Hawaii back in Feb and saw this plant growing like a weed on the rainy sides of the islands. So it seems to me, that if you give it the "Hawaiian" treatment, it should do just fine.

Neutral Cretaceous On Mar 30, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

So far I have planted two of these ferns without success. The last one was a seemingly healthy, good sized plant which I purchased from a local nursery and planted in early December 2006. Soon after planting the fronds blackened and it gradually withered away. No sign of them this spring.

Positive kcdenver On Jan 2, 2007, kcdenver from Denver, CO wrote:

I got it in a 4" pot, with few leaves, but sturdy. 8 years later, it has been incredibly tolerant, has completely inhabited a 10" wide, deep pot. In Colorado, it loves a patio with patchy shade, and is tough as nails during severe rain and temps. It drops leaves after being relocated, but always recovers, given big drinks and decent light--not good in full sun, but does recover from abuse, and does well in an apartment over winter.

It's a mildly messy plant, but fills a basket or plant stand quite handsomely--and smells great when washed/wet! leaves are large, deep green, and tendrils are thick, somewhat hairy looking.

Anniston, Alabama