Chapman's Goldenrod

Solidago odora var. chapmanii

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Solidago (so-li-DAY-go) (Info)
Species: odora var. chapmanii

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Milton, Florida

On Oct 24, 2012, patsydresden from Milton, FL wrote:

This wildflower grows everywhere here in Milton, FL. It is a very brittle woody shrub-like plant and I noticed the leaves have a slightly "sticky" feel on the backs of the leaves, which I think is described as resinous? Anyway, it grows in the wild all throughout the edges of woodlands here. Very bright yellow flowers cover the plant right now--early Fall.

On Apr 2, 2012, TRUNK from North Andrews Gardens, FL wrote:

A very good investment , after years of growing this plant as a edge to my informal hedge...this plant has been a wonderful addition to my garden. yes it does grow quickly and it does grow from underground roots, in dry, cold, hot, and wet conditions. It brings the bees, birds and butterflies to the garden. I can mow it down and it grows back. I have allowed this plant to grow wildly on purpose. when I am ready to pull it out .. I discontinue the irrigation...and pull it out by hand. a few days later spray round up and till the soil. when I am sure it is all gone. Doesnt seem to be problem either way. Since this is a Native Florida Flower I give away plants all the time to continue its existence...throughout florida.

Use this plant in a wild flower garden, ... read more

On Aug 9, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This lovely goldenrod inhabits the sandhills and other open areas in the peninsula and panhandle of Florida. It is distinguished from S. odora var. odora by having a small glabrous strip below the leaf base. It tends to bloom earlier than other similar varieties.