Hybrid Wichurana, Large-flowered Climbing Rose 'New Dawn'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: New Dawn
Additional cultivar information:(PP1; Earth Kind series, aka Everblooming Dr. W. Van Fleet, The New Dawn)
Hybridized by Dreer

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

Avoid pruning

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

By budding

Birmingham, Alabama (2 reports)

Huntsville, Alabama

Scarsdale, New York

Windsor, New York

Charlotte, North Carolina

East Bend, North Carolina

Fayetteville, North Carolina (2 reports)

Hendersonville, North Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina

Columbia, South Carolina

Lafayette, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Gilmer, Texas

Plano, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Bainbridge Island, Washington

Yakima, Washington

On Jun 23, 2015, gypsyfairy from Concord, CA wrote:

My New Dawn is only three years old. The thorns are indeed frightening, but I like to think of them as "fairy tale worthy". Just be careful, and you will be fine. The first year I pruned it back rather severely, as I thought that best. But it didn't progress. So the second year I didn't prune, and it has grow so very well!

I watch them carefully, and cut back any mildewy/white stuff that I see on them. ( You can probably tell here that I am a newby.)

I try to weave them horizontally on the trellis, as I understand that they have more flowers that way. Perhaps I am being too strict about this?

So far, so good, here in Northern California.

On Mar 5, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Over 85 years after it was introduced, this remains one of the most popular of climbing roses.

It's vigorous to a fault, and highly resistant to black spot and powdery mildew here, and generally does well without fungal sprays. Fairly shade tolerant as roses go, too, though perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it can get by with a little less sun than most. The flowers are lovely and reasonably fragrant, though they don't last long enough to make first-class cut flowers.

The thorns are vicious.

None of the New Dawns I've maintained have been good rebloomers, at least not by modern standards. I see some light rebloom occasionally, mostly just a flower here or there, mostly in September, but nothing near the June flush.

If... read more

On Jun 19, 2014, Flowerpower2014 from Boyce, LA wrote:

I have two new dawn climbing roses and I can honestly say they are the most disease resistant roses I own. They have the most beautiful foliage, it's soft and smooth looking. The flowers are beautiful although they don't last long but they do smell delicious. I highly recommend this rose. It's trouble free and beautiful.

On Oct 8, 2013, Beckah from Memphis, TN wrote:

I bought this plant about 5 years ago from a big-box store. It was large, 4 feet tall and beautifully bloomed out. I couldnt believe I had stumbled upon such a lovely rose plant. We planted it along a fence underneath a couple of pine trees in dappled sunlight. It was really the only place for it, as my yard was already filled with vegetable garden areas and other flowers. It not only continued to grow, it thrived. My roses are nicely fragrant and remain a lovely pale pink from approximately late April until June, but unfortunately thats it. Ive got a one-time bloomer. Last year it developed witches broom ; a viral disease. Theres no cure for it. The plant has to be dug up and destroyed. The disease was presenting itself in a few of the new canes in the center of the plant. The res... read more

On Oct 27, 2012, naomiZ5b from Bangor, ME wrote:

This is a wonderful rose, perfect for fence or arbor. Each spring it sends up strong new canes, loaded with bloom. Though doesn't sucker, it will layer itself given half a chance. My original plant propagated itself; both are now gigantic, and a neighbor is happily growing a third offspring. It seems to do equally well in full sun or morning sun/afternoon shade and is not much bother by black spot. Here in zone 4b/5a it often throws up blooms into October. Its one real failing is the lack of fragrance, but the full, romantic bloom more than compensates. Japanese beetles are the only serious problem. Be sure to wear thick gloves when you prune this one.

On Jul 4, 2011, akshirl from Hendersonville, NC wrote:

In viewing the photos of this plant I realized it is the rose I grew up with. Some years after my family moved from that house it burned. The rose grow naturally and had an orange blossom poking out here & there. I used to go back there just to see it. The two together were outstanding, both to see and smell. I never new the name, but have always wanted that rose for my garden. Many thanks to Dave's Garden an the people who have shared.

On May 11, 2011, voltairesgarden from Arnhem
Netherlands (Zone 8a) wrote:

I read a lot of people writing that New Dawn is not re-blooming, but it only means that you've got a rose that was wrong cultivated. I will try to translate what my rose encyclopedia has to say about this phenomenon regarding New Dawn specifically (it's originally in Dutch):

'Unfortunately there are New Dawn roses on the market that are only once blooming. Growers used the buds on the long, fast growing stems for propagation, without knowing that the method used here would produce once blooming New dawn. If you have bought these plants there is nothing you can do to make a rose re-bloom. The only way to get more flowering is to buy new rose from a reputable rose seller.'

This rose really is a fantastic re-bloomer, and it's a shame that shops are still sellin... read more

On Mar 24, 2011, Hemophobic from Kannapolis, NC wrote:

Lovely rose, once-bloomer, occasional later bloom, but vicious thorns. Be sure this one is out of reach!

On Dec 31, 2010, carolina_gardener from Fayetteville, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted a small one-year-old plant last spring at the south-facing base of a new arbor I built, and by the end of the season three canes had grown more than 8 feet, while a couple of side canes grew about 5-6 feet. Didn't have any flowers though. I'm hoping this year I'll see my first roses. If it continues the same pace of growth, it should almost span the top of the arbor in its second year in the ground. I had planted a couple other climbers at the same time, and ND by far grew faster with more canes. Sometimes there'd be a couple inches of new growth every couple days! It did get black spot as winter set in, but BS tends to show up on several plants in my garden around November.

On May 20, 2010, jazzy1okc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I planted a bare root New Dawn here in OKC five years ago and have loved it ever since. Very hardy and disease free. I was shocked the third year when it outgrew its arbor (black painted hog wire paneling in an "L" shape over a gateway in the side yard) and stretched itself lazily across our roof AND the roof of the neighbor's house! Astounding sight for anyone flying over in a helicopter, I'm sure! I climb up on the roof every other year in full battle gear to prune it back a bit. Mine will rebloom if it gets a little cool, cloudy weather during the summer and fall. A great frame for a Blue Ravine clematis that is scrambling up through it and blooming very nicely.

On May 27, 2009, kastrol from West Chester, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The 'New Dawn' Roses that we have in our gardens are at least 60 years old. My husband grew up in the house we know own. HIs father told us they were here already when he moved in, in 1950. When we first moved in they were growing up over the porch roof (covering it) and almost covering the roof of the kitchen as well. Unfortunately, we had to cut them back 10 years ago to repair the kitchen roof and remove the porch roof to add a deck. They have come back and are still growing strong. I say these roses grow 20 feet, defiantly! They have no bug or disease problem what so ever. I prune out dead wood in early spring. They cover my 5 ft fence by the deck plus 2 ft above and I am going to have to add some type of support over the deck if I want to let them keep growing.
When in full blo... read more

On May 5, 2009, joeyt from Lincoln, AL wrote:

This rose blooms one time a year and then will not bloom again until the next year. My great aunt had this in her yard and I was allowed to get a small one from the many she had. I love this rose!

On Apr 13, 2009, JuliaSue from Birmingham, AL wrote:

This rose is very pretty. When I moved to my home, someone else had already planted several dozen bushes. Clearly they like this rose. Me, with my wholey limited experience with roses, did nothing to care for them, and yet they've grown beautifully with absolutely no effort on my part.

But I have noticed, that they bloom (lots) for about two weeks, and then they don't bloom anymore.

They are growing under giant oak trees, so maybe that's why, but just wanted to check. Over the last couple of years, we have tried pruning, fertilizing, & dead heading, but the plants behave just the same. They don't seem to care if they're cared for, but they still won't bloom any longer than a couple of weeks.

Is there any hope? I've seen others describe this rose... read more

On Apr 3, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

United States Plant Patent number 1 issued on August 18 1931 has expired. The application was filed August 6, 1930

On Mar 26, 2009, RosieDay from Greenfield, NH wrote:

Reliably heavy blooms in June tho' I've not seen any significant reblooming. It's on an arbor near our deck where the light pink blooms are especially lovely in the evening light. As an added attraction, it provides a safe haven for nesting birds, so we usually have quite a show for summer suppers on the deck. Aside from thrips the first year it was planted it's had no pest or disease problems.

On May 11, 2008, LiliMerci from North of Atlanta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

If you are planning on growing this climber, you will need a good support system to hold it. It will take over your arbor. Currently, early May, I have over 300+, possibly 400+ buds on the plant. It will bloom continously through the summer. Doesn't seem to mind the heat.

On Jun 27, 2007, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose was only added to my garden this year in late April. Considering this has been one of the driest springs on record it has done remarkably well! I might add the heat has been blistering hot throught May and into June. In spite of this it has managed to establish itself, grow fairly well, and most important bloom. Looks like a winner all the way around; therefore a positive rating!

On Feb 19, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

On HGTV.com's list of Care Free roses by Mary C. Weaver:
'New Dawn': If you've oohed and aahed at photographs of pale pink roses clambering romantically over white trellises, chances are good you've seen 'New Dawn'. A large-flowered climber introduced in 1930, it produces a generous supply of medium-sized, cupped, double soft-pink flowers that fade to soft white. The plant is a repeat-blooming sport of 'Dr. W. Van Fleet', although in hot climates flowering will slow or stop at the height of summer. Blooms have a light apple fragrance and an old-fashioned, cottagey look. The plant bears large prickles and dark-green glossy foliage with very good disease-resistance. It can tolerate some shade and perform well with 4 to 5 hours of daily sun. 'New Dawn' was named World's Favorite Rose i... read more

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like this rose. It grows like a weed and is very hardy in zone 5 with no die-back. The blooms are a lovely color and have a nice, altho light, fragrance. Be sure to give this one lots of space.

On Mar 15, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

New Dawn starts flowering late spring/early summer and continues untill frosts gets it. Of course it has one big flush of flowers, but when you deadhead and give it a little summer prune...it produces new buds over and over again. I even have ..a few though..flowers during winter.
Flowers have a slight fragnance. This rosa has also very mean thorns ...for me it 's impossible to get close to it without deep scratches and pricks..so beware if you like to plant it in a yard where little children play. It needs regular hard pruning to flower abundant.

On Jun 10, 2004, saltydog44 from Lenoir, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have the same problem another gardener did - Wonderful blooms, but only one time. I am in the NC foothills - 7b. I have let it go to see if that will help but it is now becoming a menace to man and beasst as it loads down the arbor at the garden entrance.

How do I prune this monster?

On Jul 5, 2003, lucillenawara from Franklin, MI wrote:

My "New Dawn" climbing roses are rambunctious and beautiful, but only bloom once, in spite of descriptions in ads of "repeat blooming". I''ve tried pruning down to just above a five-leaf stem and also just nipping off the dead blooms, but neither works. Any suggestions, or should these really just be considered once-blooming roses (at least near Detroit). Lucille N.

On Feb 14, 2003, mom2cats from Moorestown, NJ (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite roses! Easy to care for and prolific when it blooms, plus it is almost completely 'bug free' (Japanese beetles here in NJ will attack ANYTHING!). It does have a slight tendency towards blackspot but not as much as other roses.

The delicate-looking, fragrant and bountiful blooms of this rose make it an exquisite addition to any garden. I actually have two bushes - one in full sun and one in partial shade. Both do incredibly well with little to no pruning. (I do cut bunches of blooms for vases). I would rate this as one of the best roses I've ever grown.

On Feb 11, 2003, Roselaine from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my second favourite rose, the first, being Madame Alfred Carriere. As this is the first patented rose in North America, I am pleased to be growing five of them. The unique fragrance and the output of delicate blush-pink blooms makes her a "#1" in my books.....Elaine

On Aug 19, 2002, itsajungle wrote:

This plant found at a charity sale for $2, has exceeded any expectations. A repeat bloomer, texture of the petals is very sensuous,like real satin.Softly fragrant. Glossy, healthy leaves. Thorny! easily trained . disease and pest resistant in my climate SW BC. A piece was broken when I got it home so I dipped it in a little rooting powder last year and it is just getting ready to bloom with 2 buds now. I would recommend this rose, as fast grower, easy-care, "a Happy Rosa!"

On Aug 19, 2002, dragonlady0747 from Troisdorf
Germany wrote:

New dawn is only faintly scented and the flowers loose that pink colour when in bloom. Also it is growing extremely quickly and as I trained it over a garden arch I always have to keep it in shape.

On Jul 13, 2002, davidmcewan from glasgow
United Kingdom wrote:

New Dawn is a plant worthy of any garden. I would class it as a rambler/climber, its stems are lax and easily trained. The pale pink blooms are scented and appear in clusters in mid-summer. Height is around 12ft.

On Feb 12, 2001, Grits from Pineville, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

1930 12-20' Fragrant Zone 5-9
Climbing Rose
Beautiful pale pink 3" semi-double blossoms upon dark green foliage. Repeat blooms even in summer with large flushes in late spring and fall. Wonderful along a fence or trained over an archway.