PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Cosmonaut Volkov'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Cosmonaut Volkov

Regular Leaf

By ByndeweedBeth
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by ByndeweedBeth

Positive W_WA On Oct 11, 2014, W_WA from Sumner, WA wrote:

I planted one very small seedling May 22nd and another June 2nd and covered them with row cover on tomato cages until temperatures at night rose a bit. A month later both plants didn't look good (yellow leaves with some black spots--early blight?) but I took off the worst of the foliage for awhile. They survived and produced a lot of really excellent tasting tomatoes!!! First one ripened Aug 17th, which is pretty fast here for a big tomato. As the season went on, the flavor got better and better too.

Positive mountngrower On Dec 18, 2011, mountngrower from Valemount, BC (Zone 2b) wrote:

In Valemount BC I have grown this Ukranian cultivar for about 10 years. It is dependable above all! A most important bush garden tomato to grow here in a short growing season, 74 frost free days in region 2b-3a. The ripened fruit tastes great- more juicy than very solid-meaty like some beefstakes, but consistently the earliest ripe tomato in 2011- an extremely overcast, wet, year in fickle mountain weather conditions. As dependable and early, most years as Scarlet Heirloom, a very rare variety I grow. Early Goliath is later but also gave excellent yield in inclement growing conditions.

Positive flamontagne On Jul 31, 2011, flamontagne from Trois-Rivieres, QC wrote:

This is my first year growing Cosmonaut Volkov and I picked my first one yesterday. It is truly delicious! This is only my second gardening season (so take the following with a grain of salt) but this is the best tomatoes I ever ate.

It is more on the sweet side, although it still has enough tart to make it well balanced. It had a long and delicious aftertaste that was hard to describe.

I am keeping the seeds and will plant this beauty next year, that's for sure!

Positive jboyer007 On Aug 8, 2009, jboyer007 from Potosi, MO wrote:

This tomato grew early and the first tomatoes weighed in at over 1 lb. The fruit is very tasty, good round shape (beefsteak) and had beautiful shoulders. I have been growing tomatoes since 1965 and this will be one I keep. We are making salsa right now and the tomato works up fine. I do not know if it produces until frost, but I will save the seed and report next year.

Positive SLO_Garden On Aug 5, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Cosmonaut Volkov is a good, all-purpose red tomato. It is medium sized with a well-balanced flavor and is fairly high yielding. My CV got a much later start than my others, so I can't speak to its earliness. The plant doesn't get too tall and seems to have some disease resistance.

Neutral Farmerdill On Aug 12, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 8-12 ounce round red.