Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Cosmonaut Volkov'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Cosmonaut Volkov

Potosi, Missouri

Scio, Oregon

Sumner, Washington

On Apr 18, 2015, Knitwitch from Nova Scotia

A good sized slicer that readily ripens on the vive here in my Canadian zone 5a-b garden. It's important to harvest before the tomato reaches it's "bursting point". I had a lot of split skins and busted fruits with this variety, finding the skins very tender and the plump fruit delicate. Good flavour, garden ripeness...I saved seed and will be trying it again.

On Oct 11, 2014, W_WA from Sumner, WA wrote:

I planted one very small seedling May 22nd and another June 2nd and covered them with row cover on tomato cages until temperatures at night rose a bit. A month later both plants didn't look good (yellow leaves with some black spots--early blight?) but I took off the worst of the foliage for awhile. They survived and produced a lot of really excellent tasting tomatoes!!! First one ripened Aug 17th, which is pretty fast here for a big tomato. As the season went on, the flavor got better and better too.

On Dec 18, 2011, mountngrower from Valemount, BC (Zone 2b) wrote:

In Valemount BC I have grown this Ukranian cultivar for about 10 years. It is dependable above all! A most important bush garden tomato to grow here in a short growing season, 74 frost free days in region 2b-3a. The ripened fruit tastes great- more juicy than very solid-meaty like some beefstakes, but consistently the earliest ripe tomato in 2011- an extremely overcast, wet, year in fickle mountain weather conditions. As dependable and early, most years as Scarlet Heirloom, a very rare variety I grow. Early Goliath is later but also gave excellent yield in inclement growing conditions.

On Jul 31, 2011, flamontagne from Trois-Rivieres, QC wrote:

This is my first year growing Cosmonaut Volkov and I picked my first one yesterday. It is truly delicious! This is only my second gardening season (so take the following with a grain of salt) but this is the best tomatoes I ever ate.

It is more on the sweet side, although it still has enough tart to make it well balanced. It had a long and delicious aftertaste that was hard to describe.

I am keeping the seeds and will plant this beauty next year, that's for sure!

On Aug 8, 2009, jboyer007 from Potosi, MO wrote:

This tomato grew early and the first tomatoes weighed in at over 1 lb. The fruit is very tasty, good round shape (beefsteak) and had beautiful shoulders. I have been growing tomatoes since 1965 and this will be one I keep. We are making salsa right now and the tomato works up fine. I do not know if it produces until frost, but I will save the seed and report next year.

On Aug 5, 2009, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Cosmonaut Volkov is a good, all-purpose red tomato. It is medium sized with a well-balanced flavor and is fairly high yielding. My CV got a much later start than my others, so I can't speak to its earliness. The plant doesn't get too tall and seems to have some disease resistance.

On Aug 12, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote: