PlantFiles: Pitcher Sage, Wild Blue Sage
Salvia azurea

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: azurea (a-ZOOR-ee-uh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Salvias

Thumbnail #6 of Salvia azurea by Jeff_Beck

By bootandall
Thumbnail #7 of Salvia azurea by bootandall

Positive mfast10 On Mar 26, 2014, mfast10 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I planted 5 of these plants last year in mid May. I didn't do much more than add some fertilizer and then water a few times after planting and the salvia grew very well, much better than I anticipated. Epecially considering this was its first year. I am going to trim in early summer so it does not get so floppy this year. Nice blue flowers. I planted these in a dry, sunny area of my front bed that bakes all day in the HOT Florida summer sun.

Positive appublic On Jun 15, 2011, appublic from Belton, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grew this plant from seed last year and it ended up being my favorite plant of the year and I've planted many more of them this year. It bloomed as a first year perennial. The blooming season is long, the flowers are a true blue, and it is one hardy plant. It's in my driest bed and I didn't baby it at all. This year the plants are much larger and I cannot wait to see the show. I've read that they'll rebloom if deadheaded. I hope this is true so I enjoy an even longer period of blooms. It can flop. Mine lean on the taller echinacea and the colors look great together.

Positive kdaustin On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very pretty, native to my area, favorite in my garden.
Can be lanky, trimming keeps it pretty and blooming extra hard.
Stunning azure blue flowers. I have it in unwatered (except if no rain in 3 months) beds and it does great!
Even this year with triple digits starting in April, and extreme drought, it has only been watered 3x and looks fabulous.
love it.

Positive bmuller On Apr 6, 2007, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this from seed last year, and it bloomed the first year. It's now coming back in small, healthy-looking clumps. I collected seed last year, planted it, and those little seedlings are coming up. I love the blue flowers in the fall and the long blooming season.

Positive crockny On Nov 9, 2006, crockny from Kerhonkson, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Love this plant in my zone 5a garden ... comes back every year and is getting bigger -- it sprawls but the silvery foliage and beautiful blue flowers in mid-late fall are glorious ...
I think the hardiness zone in this listing is off ... if you google the plant it says zone 5-9 ... also says you can propagate from cuttings and division ...

Neutral dmj1218 On May 9, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the tallest native salvias, this one can be found growing in rich, fertile, tallgrass prairies in small colonies. The aromatic scent of theis plant is not favored by deer. Found in South Carolina to Nebraska to Mexico. Grows in sandy, loamy, and clay soils in full to partial sunlight. Blooms May-November.

Positive flordan On Feb 2, 2004, flordan from Glencoe, IL wrote:

Not hardy in this zip code, but a fantastic bloomer. Didn't look like it would do much all summer, but the early fall dislay in containers made up for the wait

Positive talinum On Aug 13, 2002, talinum from Kearney, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite sages. It grows quite tall with long flower spikes. I usually start it very early indoors. This year it reseeded and I had blooms on 2' plants by mid-June. It is not hardy in my zone 5 garden.

Neutral loisbeth On May 3, 2002, loisbeth wrote:

Also referred to as Pitcher Sage. Loose spikes of clear-azure blue flowers. Shear in early summer to promote branching or plants will need staking.

Auburn, Alabama