Jupiter's Sage
Salvia glutinosa

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: glutinosa (gloo-tin-OH-suh) (Info)
» View all varieties of Salvias

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Oak Park, California

Wilmington, Delaware

Interlaken, New York

On Aug 14, 2013, bz48 from Interlaken, NY wrote:

I've been growing this plant under sugar maples for many years (zone 5). I haven't watered it ever even in dry years. It does self sow. Transplanting larger plants doesn't always work so well.

On Jul 12, 2013, Siirenias from Oak Park, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted some S glutinosa in dry clay in front of my garden hose. It started very dry there, and stopped fussing in less than a month. It now grows strong and seems to be flowering all summer.

I use that hose more often now, so I'm not certain that it's growing dry. It might be growing alternating wet and dry clay, which would be quite a trick.

On Aug 4, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This Salvia has surprised me because of the size of it's flowers. The flowers are about 1 inch and that makes this Salvia showy. The leaves also kept looking fresh and nice through our summer 's drought and heat in my sheltered southfacing garden. I 'm recently disappointed about the very tiny yellow flowers of S. roborowski that I've pulled out. It is flowering for the first time for me after sowing. I've planted the seedlings out in spring 2003.
I like it that it's flowering somewhat later in the season (august). As far I can judge it: it's a keeper in my garden.

Salvia glutinosa is also called Sticky Sage. The calyx of the flower is very sticky..