PlantFiles: Chestnut
Castanea 'Timburr'

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Castanea (kas-TAN-nee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Timburr

Provides winter interest

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #1 of Castanea  by Equilibrium

Positive Dodsky On Sep 28, 2011, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased several seedlings from Oikos Tree Crops and they have grown quite well. No signs of Chestnut Blight so far. I also purchased fresh seed last year from Oikos and nearly all of them germinated. I did lose about 10% early on, possibly due to Chestnut Blight, but the rest are growing strong.

Here is the Oikos catalog description of this hybrid chestnut:

"Timburr Chestnut Castanea x hybrid
Tall Straight Timber Growth Habit - Good Nut Production

This is our most American-like hybrid cross producing vigorous seedlings with a dominant central leader. Seedlings show high heritability of upright growth with good resistance to chestnut blight within the majority of the seedlings. Created by using Douglass 2nd and 3rd generation trees along with other hybrid Chinese and European trees that show good form with little or no blight. The seedlings we grow are from the best seven trees that were selected over 20 years ago. Vigorous growth and upright habit were the priority. Seedlings begin producing in 3-8 years. Yields will vary from 20-50 lbs. per tree. We are using seedlings from this group to replace other less vigorous selections on our farm as a way to upgrade our orchard using open pollinated hybrids that may prove completely immune to chestnut blight. Height to 60-80 ft."

Positive jeri11 On Aug 28, 2006, jeri11 from Central, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 2 that are about 4 1/2 ft tall. I've never noticed any flowers but mine are in pots and in the shade. Mine were labled money trees. I thought this was funny since I spend so much money on plants I thought it would be neat to grow some money of my own, but alas no money.

Jeri