PlantFiles: Silver Sage
Salvia argentea

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: argentea (ar-JEN-tee-uh) (Info)

» View all varieties of Salvias

Biennials

Silver/Gray
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

By stooling or mound layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Happenstance

Thumbnail #6 of Salvia argentea by wannadanc

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #7 of Salvia argentea by Happenstance

Positive Gabrielle On Mar 29, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this plant! From the time the seed germinates, it is like a furry little critter that you want to cuddle up! Unfortunately, slugs love it, too. Blooms in May/June in my garden, and if deadheaded, will live as a perennial.

Negative greenkat On Oct 27, 2006, greenkat from Crofton, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I tried to grow Salvia argentea in Maryland during a hot, humid summer. It just won't work. They looked scraggly and pitiful. I put them out of their misery- I threw them on the compost heap!

Neutral gardeningrace On Aug 8, 2006, gardeningrace from Lexington, SC wrote:

First saw this kind of plant at a friend's garden. There it was labeled "Hobbit's Foot" which seems a very appropriate name! I was unable to locate it by that name, though, and am pleased to see what seems to be the same plant but by this name. Anyone know if this is the same one, or ever heard of "Hobbit's Foot" before?

Neutral BUFFY690 On Jan 31, 2006, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am adding this to a new herb garden I am creating, (An upward spiral) I love the look to thisplant and my daughter loves to pet its fuzzy Huge leaves. Whether it blooms or not is not an issue since I am growing it for its fabulous foilage.

Positive Theresa On Jun 15, 2005, Theresa from Marine City, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this plant at a local SE Michigan nursery. To me it looks like a giant fuzzy lambs ears.
This is the second year I have had it, and much to my surprise, it bloomed. I didnt know it flowered.
I look forward to saving seed and sharing it with my garden friends.

Positive CatskillKarma On Jun 3, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I grew this in my Catskill mountain garden last year and tried to pot it up and bring it in for the winter, but lost it in my humid basement where temperatures fluctuate from 40 to 80 degrees (wood stove heat), and the only light is from tepid grow lamps. It didn't flower for me outdoors either, but the leaves are so wonderful I didn't really mind. I put a new one outdoors last weekend, but am resigned to it being an annual where I live, at the cold end of zone 5/warm end of zone 4. It seems to thrive in a relatively dry spot in full sun.

Positive saya On May 29, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Native to Southern Europe, Eastern Mediterranean & North-West Africa. This is a species that is often classefied as a biennial, but in some cases it usually lasts several years and it is therefore best treated as a short lived perennial, which dies down below ground in winter. It is frost hardy to -10 C
This plant cannot be missed in a sensory garden...its caressability is soooo high..for children it gives a attractive opportunity to learn about plants and gardening.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Great texture and gray color, needs a good deal of water in 10a, bait for snails & slugs or it will disappear over night.

Neutral davidwsmith On Oct 9, 2002, davidwsmith from Linlithgow
wrote:

Planted in early August 2002 and the slugs really loved it. Managed to salvage it using standard slug pellets.

Positive lupinelover On Jul 1, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

For those who like the looks of clary sage but dislike the odor, this is the preferred type. The leaves are much more cobwebbed, but is a favorite food of slugs.

The flowers appear to be pure white, but in the evening sun many pale colors are in evidence: pink, silver, blue, purple.

Mine has relatively few seed, most flowers do not set seed. If flower stalks are allowed to remain on plant, eventually new leaves will form at the base, thus turning this biennial into a perennial.

Castro Valley, California
Oakland, California
Santa Ana, California
Aurora, Colorado
Brighton, Colorado
Denver, Colorado (2 reports)
Brookfield, Connecticut