PlantFiles: Tropical Giant Salvia
Brillantaisia nitens

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brillantaisia (bril-lan-ta-IS-ee-a) (Info)
Species: nitens (NI-tens) (Info)

Synonym:Leucorhaphis lamium

Violet/Lavender

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

By jnana
Thumbnail #1 of Brillantaisia nitens by jnana

By Kalpavriksha
Thumbnail #2 of Brillantaisia nitens by Kalpavriksha

Positive MTVineman On Jul 5, 2012, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bought this plant from the guys at Glasshouse Works. It looked very interesting and like something I needed to have so I purchased it along with a lot more! They really do have some of the best plants I have ever ordered. This plant has turned into a giant already and is blooming happily on my back veranda. The local birds, bugs etc. don't seem to know what to make of it as nothing much like it grows natively in my area. It's a fast growing plant, looks quit a lot like a Salvia but it's actually a type of Acanthus ( or it's in that family ). It's a very beautiful plant both in and out of bloom although some may not agree with me. Then again, I find beauty in all plants. I will naturally take this inside in the fall/winter and see how it does in the house. I expect it will be fine and will be ready next spring to go right back onto the rear veranda! The flowers are a beautiful shade of bluish-violet and rather large. I recommend! If you can get one, do so. Oh, mine is in a medium large size pot right now with ordinary potting soil and is about 6 ft tall at this point not including the flower spikes.

Positive Kiyzersoze On May 26, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Cuttings are very easy to root.

Encinitas, California