Bigleaf Hydrangea, Lacecap
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Shooting Star'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Shooting Star
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Light Blue

Medium Blue

Veined

Flowers are good for cutting

Brea, California

Euless, Texas

Auburn, Washington

Cascade-fairwood, Washington

On Jul 28, 2015, beachwoman from South Kingstown, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant was a Mothers' Day gift in 2014. I took a chance and planted it outside in my southern RI garden (zone 6). Covered it during the winter months and it's still going strong!! This spring I planted another one in a different part of the yard. Fingers crossed!

On Jul 28, 2011, jillybean78 from Manhattan Beach, CA wrote:

I planted three of these in my garden. One was a gift and the others are from Trader Joe's (only place I could find them). They are three years old and they are very large and magnificent.

On Oct 1, 2009, jerry31557 from Patterson, GA wrote:

I have one plant that is about 50 years old and still going strong. It is quite different and beautiful. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

On Jul 5, 2008, LynnBia from Mint Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought this at Harris Teeter (groc store) in Mint Hill, NC, zone 7.5. I thought it was beautiful, but I lost the info tag and wasn't sure if it'd be hardy here, so I kept it under grow lights last winter, and it did fine, of course. Then I thought, what the heck, and planted it in the ground this spring. It is blooming now and is absolutely gorgeous, and I think with some good mulching, it'll survive our (getting warmer) winters. We'll see.

On Feb 26, 2008, yotedog from Raleigh, NC wrote:

There was a debate long ago on the Hydrangea forum about the "real" cultivar name for Shooting Star. The confusion arose because of several look-a-like plants ('Hanabi' 'Fuji Waterfall' 'Hayes Starburst'and 'Fireworks') and due to Trademarked versus Cultivar names.
Per Gene Griffith at Wilkerson Gardens"... 'Shooting Star' is Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hanabi.' ** A tissue culture firm introduced 'Hanabi' as 'Fuji Waterfall' which is really wrong since there is also a distinctly separate plant that is the serrata form Hydrangea serrata 'Fuji-no-taki' (which translated means Fuji Waterfall).
Terra Nova also has H. m. Hanabi--sometimes called 'Sumida-no-hanabi' (which means fireworks over hanabi), hence the confusion as to the 'Fireworks' name.
'Hayes Starburst' is a comp... read more

On Dec 21, 2006, lunavox from Seattle, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I was given a pot of this plant at my bridal shower and I used its flowers in my hair during my wedding. They are *so* beautiful-- perfect white stars and tiny clusters of blue. I repotted it and it survived much neglect and then it bloomed twice this past summer. It tried to bloom a third time but frost cut that short.

On Aug 19, 2005, EmperorDragon from Elk Grove, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Shooting Star exhibits brilliant white multi-petaled 'stars' shoot from the flower like fireworks. Shooting Star is by far the longest lasting of all Lace Cap varieties and is suitable for the outdoors in many regions. Special and unique, Shooting Star is bound to cause a stir among friends and neighbors. You're sure to enjoy it!

In its leafless dormant state, 20-50 degrees F. In its growing state, it tolerates 38-90 degrees F, but prefers 55-75 degrees F.

Drench thouroughly when watering. Remove excess water after watering.

In bloom indoors, any light, but prefers medium light. In the garden, morning sun, afternoon shade.

No fertilizer required during blooming. Use acid fertilizer otherwise.

Use peatmoss and topsoi... read more