Tomato 'Ceylon'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Ceylon

Jackson, Michigan

Campbell Hall, New York

Horseheads, New York

On Aug 31, 2013, PerennialConnection from Albion, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I started these from seed and have them growing in 3 different locations. Overall, I am very pleased with these in regard to yield, flavor and plant health. I started them to sell along with other heirloom plant starts at my greenhouse....they were not well received by people buying starts.....REAL tomatoes have curves folks, lol!

1) In the neighbor's garden, planted June 1. Sandy loam. Small tomato cage support. This is the worst looking plant....but it fruits heavily and consistently. This is also the worst tasting of the three trial plants.
2)Planted June 14. In a low-sided 10g pot. Bark-mix soil with 1c. worm castings. Once a week application of organic fertilizer and nutrients. Once a week application of 150ppm 20-20-20. CalMag foliar spray on 8-15. Plant is twin... read more

On Jun 13, 2008, deuteros from Roswell, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I started about 10 varieties of tomatoes this year and these were the second to ripen (after the currant tomatoes). I planted them in the ground around April 15th and picked the first one on June 12th. The plants were very productive and produced lots of two inch tomatoes that looked liked miniature ribbed beefsteaks.

On Aug 5, 2007, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grew these for the first time this year - I found them to be very flavourful and a nice size. I would really call them a flattened cherry type of tomato, maybe slightly larger, but not by much. They are a zingy taste and work well in salads. I would not say they were very "ruffled" (see picture) but maybe that's just me.

On Dec 28, 2005, paracelsus from Elmira, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this tomato two different years. The first year was very cold, dark, and wet, and this tomato did really well. The fruits were small and very ruffled, but they were good tasting when eaten fresh or made into sauce. The Ceylons were the only tomatoes that did not get tomato blight that year. The second year was very hot and dry, and this variety did not do very well. The plants were sickly and the fruits very small. I would grow this again if I knew the summer was going to be a cold and wet one.

On Aug 19, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

These small, ruffled red fruit are unique in appearance, but distinctive in flavor also. Their taste is rich and assertive, slightly sweet with a bit of zing added in. Only about 2 inches across, these flattened scalloped tomatoes appear in great profusion, perfect for cutting into halves for a salad or using on plates as a garnish. Indeterminate. 72 days.