Echeveria 'Ebony'

Echeveria agavoides

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echeveria (ech-eh-VER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: agavoides (ah-gav-OH-id-eez) (Info)
Cultivar: Ebony

Oakland, California

Sun City, California

Vista, California

On Oct 17, 2015, MimiMB from Alhambra, CA wrote:

I have had Echeveria "Ebony" for several years, during which time the original plant had many pups which have grown into healthy plants. Altogether, I have about 8 of them. Until now, they had very nice dark red edges the way they're supposed to have. Today I noticed that the red is virtually gone and I'm left with healthy looking green plants -- and that's all. They are receiving about half sun and shade in a large table height garden filled with cactus mix. When the table garden was made several months ago, a light application of fertilizer was included.

Any ideas as to why, after at least 10 years with the right colors, my Ebony plants have, over the last three months or so, faded out to plain green? (I live in So Cal and the weather has been very, very hot.)

On Oct 6, 2010, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

There are presently only a few clones of this plant available. Due to this fact it is quite difficult to get viable seed that is not hybrid seed. The plant is becoming more available due to tissue culturing that is being conducted at two tissue labs in the USA. It is a much sought after and slow to propagate plant.

Color can be much enhanced by growing it in full sun in coastal areas of California. The plant should be introduced to such light gradually. Eventually most of the leaves will be ebony. I am not sure how well this plant will adapt to light in very hot climates or very humid climates.

It is okay down to 26F for short periods of time. It doesn't like California winter rains. It will rot leaves if left out in cold wet weather. Generally a very easy... read more

On Mar 15, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Like the 'regular' E agavoides, this is a rosette of pointed leaves tipped in red... only this cultivar has very deep red to almost purple leaf tips and they tend to color more than just the very tip of the leaves.