Wild Hyssop, Hummingbird Mint, Mosquito Plant
Agastache cana

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Species: cana (KAN-uh) (Info)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Aromatic

Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

Riverton, Utah

North Sultan, Washington

On Dec 23, 2010, hdeve wrote:

I got the Agasthache in a combination planting from a local nursery. It is still in the combo pot. I have grown to love this plant. It bloomed well into late Fall outside, then I brought it inside and it kept blooming lightly. The fragrance is outstanding, and it has scented my huge living room wonderfully. Bees and butterflies just swarmed this plant from late summer (when I brought the plant home), always bringing life to the combo planting. I have collected seeds that I will plant in Spring. I grew this plant in Fort Gaines, GA, zone 8a, in a hot, full sun location, and nothing slowed it down. It is a keeper!!!

On Apr 2, 2009, sqaman from Oshawa

I've had Agastache cana in my garden for years and, for whatever reason, it grows much larger than advertised. It actually grows about seven foot tall by six feet wide and the flower spikes exceed 20 inches. It's amazing and the hummers and monarch butterflies go wild for this plant. I can have 50 monarchs on a plant at any given time. I'll try to include photos, hope it works as I'm new to this site. By the way, my garden is zone#5, in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, very near to Lake Ontario.

On May 16, 2007, krdixon from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

My favorite plant in my garden. The foliage has a wonderful, attractive smell. The long pink flower spikes appear in late spring and keep blooming until the first frost. Hummingbirds appear to prefer agastaches to all other plants, including penstemons! I prefer A. cana's bushiness to the thinner folliage of A. rupestris.

It's very drought tolerant and does well in my clay soil, but needs a lot of sunlight.

On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Tall 3' - Plant 20 " apart. zone 5-10. Attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies, with minty aromatic foliage. Upright clump sports rose pink blossoms up and down its stems.

On Jan 16, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

This lovely agastache is hardy for me in Utah, zone 5. It's one of the best flowers for attracting hummingbirds, and the fragrance is terrific. 'Purple Pygmy' is an excellent selection.

On Oct 12, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

It grows to a height of 24"-36" and a width of 18" making it ideal for mixed borders and herb gardens. It is an attractant of butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds, and is said to repel mosquitoes when crushed foliage is rubbed on the skin.

On Mar 20, 2003, clarity from Dolores, CO wrote:

Also known as "Double Bubble Mint". Value for xeriscaping, moderate water requirements, drought tolerant. Needs fairly good drainage, growing well at 7,000 ft. in SW Colorado.
Long lasting blooms, late summer through fall.
Seed collecting in early winter, after seeds have chilled in situ, could stratify. Easy to grow from seed.

On Mar 19, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This fragrant agastache is a native to New Mexico and western Texas. The ovate leaves smell like a combination of bubble gum and camphor. Loose spikes of dark pink flowers are produced in late summer to autumn. It prefers full sun and adequate moisture. Plants will bloom the first year from seed allowing northern climates to grow this species as an annual.