Bower Vine, Jasmine
Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)

By simple layering

Gulf Shores, Alabama

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

North Hollywood, California

Palm Springs, California

Palo Alto, California

Redlands, California

San Jose, California (2 reports)

Santa Clara, California

Port Lavaca, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

negative

On Aug 8, 2015, jillybee from Redlands, CA wrote:

My husband and I love our Bower Vine. We have had it a little over a year now and it is blooming itself silly this year. Also, we just had the first seed pod and are looking forward to planting more. I highly recommend this plant.

On Jul 30, 2015, rebe1968 from North Hollywood, CA wrote:

i planted in full sun with a deep hole it took almost 5 months to bloom i was sure this plant wasnt going to make it it took a while for it to get settled but now it blooming in full force ...glad its a member for my garden..

On Oct 22, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had two of these for almost 5 years now and absolutely love them. Loved the foliage is evergreen and the flowers are just lovely. Even as fall is already here, mine are still blooming. The bees just love them.

On Sep 3, 2012, runjean from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

WILT PROBLEM. AM I OVER OR UNDER WATERING?
I planted two of these next to a new pergola and they are both wilting. It is hot (a very hot August for Los Angeles) and I have been watering them regularly. I started watering them with the hose and now I am relying on the water form the grass sprinklers. They continue to wilt. Am I over watering them or do they need deep watering?

On May 28, 2012, Amanda_Texas from Atascocita, TX wrote:

I bought a 3-ft tall staked Pandora jasminoides in a 1-gallon pot at the end of the 2011 growing season. I immediately planted it in the ground on the south wall of my garage where it would get pounded by sun for most of the day and be protected from northern winds. It began blooming immediately. I had to buy two new trellises yesterday because the plant has literally exploded in size and wants to entwine everything within reach. It began blooming in April and is still loaded with masses of sweet-smelling trumpet-shaped pale pink flowers with deep magenta throats. New buds are forming all over. I have not seen any seed pods, but I am going to try to propagate with cuttings. We had no below-freezing temps last winter, but I still used a frost blanket on the one night the temp dropped... read more

On Mar 9, 2012, CaSteve from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I have several of these (variety 'Lady Di', all white) in my yard in Zone 9. They have survived temperatures of around 25 degrees without damage. They bloom almost all year, but never profusely. If they are not grown in full sun, the bloom is sparse to non-existent. A trouble-free, everblooming substitute for a climbing rose.

On Sep 4, 2011, goldhillal from (Crystal) Waverly, AL wrote:

I am in zone 8 and have not tried this in the ground, but overwinter in a pot. My plant has NEVER had a single bloom. I keep it watered, have had it in both sun and shade but still no flowers. Had it about 3/4 years. What could be the trouble? I am about ready to ditch it. It grows great but no flowers. I have to trim to bring in the greenhouse for the winter. Could I be cutting off the buds?

On Sep 17, 2010, mistymooo13 from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I'm a beginner at gardening. I just bought this plant/tree (not sure) and I'm worried how long the roots are going to grow. I think I planted it near my main plumbing. Does anyone know?

On Apr 19, 2010, ToniRose from New York, NY wrote:

This is a response to Cheals in AZ - this plant needs a trellis to grow on and it will twine itself beautifully. You might need to guide it along. Makes a lovely fence when trained on trellises.

On Apr 12, 2010, cheals2310 from Chandler, AZ wrote:

I am trying to figure out if this plant will grow up a block wall. Does anybody know?

On Jun 3, 2006, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

I bought mine (an Alba cultivar -- all white) last year, at the end of spring (May here in Central Florida). I was disappointed, since it bloomed only very fitfully and sparsely and grew only about a foot or so. It was hit pretty hard by frost in January, but came back quickly. This year (its second in my garden), it's continued to grow fairly slowly, winding its way around one of my fenceposts and slowly spreading out along the top of the fence. It has bloomed nonstop since late March (it's now the beginning of June). Striking clusters of large, unfragrant flowers with nice, dark foliage. Like all climbing vines, it defoliates at the base -- be sure to plant something at its base or stick it at the back of a border.

An update: It's July and the vine has continued to expand,... read more

On Oct 12, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought 2 years ago in a 3 gal pot and stuck it inside a hollow tree trunk, hoping it would grow all over the old tree. It did. Other than rain, I have never watered it. The vine has grow well, however, it doesn't bloom much because it is located in a part-sun spot. I will transplant next spring to full sun. My plant is the white one with a red eye. very pretty.

On Jan 15, 2005, fritillary from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Someone gave me this vine in a one gallon pot from a home depot. I put it in a protected spot and cover it when it freezes. This is the first winter I have had it, but I am zone 8. Worried it won't servive, but it has made it fine through 4 freezes already.

On Nov 17, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Lovely flower, I need to move mine, I believe it to be in too much shade, only blooms at the top.

On Sep 7, 2004, BLORD1200 from Gulf Shores, AL wrote:

I JUST PURCHASED ONE FROM LOWE'S THAT WAS MARKED DOWN. IT HAS NO BLOOMS. IT IS IN PRETTY BAD SHAPE AND THE POTTING WAS ALL DRIED OUT, BUT IT STILL A LOT OF HEALTHY LOOKING LEAVES. I AM GOING TO TRY AND NURSE IT BACK TO A HEALTHY CONDITION. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

On Aug 23, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Starting this plant from seed was very easy and it flowers in a very short time. I haven't had any problems with transplanting to a larger pot.

Flowers last a long time and are very showy with a velvety feel to them but the fragrance isn't very strong. The foliage is quite nice and glossy. An easy to care for plant.

On Apr 27, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I've grown this plant in both Sydney and Melbourne. It needs little care and will grow up anything available. I find it too sparse to grow on its own over a pergola for example but with another climber to provide shade its long season and pretty flowers make it valuable.
I recently spotted a pod, tried 6 seeds in ordinary potting compost and all six germinated - dead easy. I've also had success transplanting a mature plant, the foliage did die back but the plant then recovered,and grew away rapidly.

On Apr 18, 2004, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

Considering this vine comes from Queensland, Aus. it is a truly remarkable performer in cooler climates. Mine clambers around the backdoor and gets blasted with bitter north-easterly winds in winter. Despite this, it flowers superbly for 8 months of the year and even on Christmas Day, manages to put on a brave show. Here in the south of England it creates a wonderful splash of colour - no fragrance, but the fine, glossy foliage and length and freedom of flower more than make up for that.

On Apr 18, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

The leaves are beautiful and glossy. The flowers on my plant doesnt seem to be fragrant though. Very showy in the spring time. My pandorea can handle drought real well, I hardly ever water it. The ground around it is dry and hard as rock. Neutral rating because it's not very exciting, there are more interesting vines than this one.

On Mar 15, 2002, kathyctbc wrote:

Pendulous, fragrant flowers are a bonus!