PlantFiles: Bower Vine, Jasmine
Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)

By simple layering

By ladyannne
Thumbnail #6 of Pandorea jasminoides by ladyannne

By CaptMicha
Thumbnail #7 of Pandorea jasminoides by CaptMicha

Positive realityfaery On Oct 22, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had two of these for almost 5 years now and absolutely love them. Loved the foliage is evergreen and the flowers are just lovely. Even as fall is already here, mine are still blooming. The bees just love them.

Negative runjean On Sep 3, 2012, runjean from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

WILT PROBLEM. AM I OVER OR UNDER WATERING?
I planted two of these next to a new pergola and they are both wilting. It is hot (a very hot August for Los Angeles) and I have been watering them regularly. I started watering them with the hose and now I am relying on the water form the grass sprinklers. They continue to wilt. Am I over watering them or do they need deep watering?

Positive Amanda_Texas On May 28, 2012, Amanda_Texas from Atascocita, TX wrote:

I bought a 3-ft tall staked Pandora jasminoides in a 1-gallon pot at the end of the 2011 growing season. I immediately planted it in the ground on the south wall of my garage where it would get pounded by sun for most of the day and be protected from northern winds. It began blooming immediately. I had to buy two new trellises yesterday because the plant has literally exploded in size and wants to entwine everything within reach. It began blooming in April and is still loaded with masses of sweet-smelling trumpet-shaped pale pink flowers with deep magenta throats. New buds are forming all over. I have not seen any seed pods, but I am going to try to propagate with cuttings. We had no below-freezing temps last winter, but I still used a frost blanket on the one night the temp dropped near freezing. I heartily recommend this plant for both the blooms and the glossy green foliage.

Positive CaSteve On Mar 9, 2012, CaSteve from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I have several of these (variety 'Lady Di', all white) in my yard in Zone 9. They have survived temperatures of around 25 degrees without damage. They bloom almost all year, but never profusely. If they are not grown in full sun, the bloom is sparse to non-existent. A trouble-free, everblooming substitute for a climbing rose.

Neutral goldhillal On Sep 4, 2011, goldhillal from (Crystal) Waverly, AL wrote:

I am in zone 8 and have not tried this in the ground, but overwinter in a pot. My plant has NEVER had a single bloom. I keep it watered, have had it in both sun and shade but still no flowers. Had it about 3/4 years. What could be the trouble? I am about ready to ditch it. It grows great but no flowers. I have to trim to bring in the greenhouse for the winter. Could I be cutting off the buds?

Neutral mistymooo13 On Sep 17, 2010, mistymooo13 from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I'm a beginner at gardening. I just bought this plant/tree (not sure) and I'm worried how long the roots are going to grow. I think I planted it near my main plumbing. Does anyone know?

Positive ToniRose On Apr 19, 2010, ToniRose from New York, NY wrote:

This is a response to Cheals in AZ - this plant needs a trellis to grow on and it will twine itself beautifully. You might need to guide it along. Makes a lovely fence when trained on trellises.

Neutral cheals2310 On Apr 12, 2010, cheals2310 from Chandler, AZ wrote:

I am trying to figure out if this plant will grow up a block wall. Does anybody know?

Positive michaeladenner On Jun 3, 2006, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

I bought mine (an Alba cultivar -- all white) last year, at the end of spring (May here in Central Florida). I was disappointed, since it bloomed only very fitfully and sparsely and grew only about a foot or so. It was hit pretty hard by frost in January, but came back quickly. This year (its second in my garden), it's continued to grow fairly slowly, winding its way around one of my fenceposts and slowly spreading out along the top of the fence. It has bloomed nonstop since late March (it's now the beginning of June). Striking clusters of large, unfragrant flowers with nice, dark foliage. Like all climbing vines, it defoliates at the base -- be sure to plant something at its base or stick it at the back of a border.

An update: It's July and the vine has continued to expand, slowly, and flower more or less continuously. It does have a twining habit, and I've had to cut it out of a rose that's grown "out of bounds." I commented above that it loses its leaves at the base. Well, it's filled in down there now and forms an attractive, solid column from ground to the top of my garden fence. Not bad. I'd plant it again.

Positive vossner On Oct 12, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought 2 years ago in a 3 gal pot and stuck it inside a hollow tree trunk, hoping it would grow all over the old tree. It did. Other than rain, I have never watered it. The vine has grow well, however, it doesn't bloom much because it is located in a part-sun spot. I will transplant next spring to full sun. My plant is the white one with a red eye. very pretty.

Positive fritillary On Jan 15, 2005, fritillary from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Someone gave me this vine in a one gallon pot from a home depot. I put it in a protected spot and cover it when it freezes. This is the first winter I have had it, but I am zone 8. Worried it won't servive, but it has made it fine through 4 freezes already.

Positive hanna1 On Nov 17, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Lovely flower, I need to move mine, I believe it to be in too much shade, only blooms at the top.

Neutral BLORD1200 On Sep 7, 2004, BLORD1200 from Gulf Shores, AL wrote:

I JUST PURCHASED ONE FROM LOWE'S THAT WAS MARKED DOWN. IT HAS NO BLOOMS. IT IS IN PRETTY BAD SHAPE AND THE POTTING WAS ALL DRIED OUT, BUT IT STILL A LOT OF HEALTHY LOOKING LEAVES. I AM GOING TO TRY AND NURSE IT BACK TO A HEALTHY CONDITION. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

Neutral CaptMicha On Aug 23, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Starting this plant from seed was very easy and it flowers in a very short time. I haven't had any problems with transplanting to a larger pot.

Flowers last a long time and are very showy with a velvety feel to them but the fragrance isn't very strong. The foliage is quite nice and glossy. An easy to care for plant.

Positive angelam On Apr 27, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I've grown this plant in both Sydney and Melbourne. It needs little care and will grow up anything available. I find it too sparse to grow on its own over a pergola for example but with another climber to provide shade its long season and pretty flowers make it valuable.
I recently spotted a pod, tried 6 seeds in ordinary potting compost and all six germinated - dead easy. I've also had success transplanting a mature plant, the foliage did die back but the plant then recovered,and grew away rapidly.

Positive Dave_in_Devon On Apr 18, 2004, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

Considering this vine comes from Queensland, Aus. it is a truly remarkable performer in cooler climates. Mine clambers around the backdoor and gets blasted with bitter north-easterly winds in winter. Despite this, it flowers superbly for 8 months of the year and even on Christmas Day, manages to put on a brave show. Here in the south of England it creates a wonderful splash of colour - no fragrance, but the fine, glossy foliage and length and freedom of flower more than make up for that.

Neutral DaraMV On Apr 18, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

The leaves are beautiful and glossy. The flowers on my plant doesnt seem to be fragrant though. Very showy in the spring time. My pandorea can handle drought real well, I hardly ever water it. The ground around it is dry and hard as rock. Neutral rating because it's not very exciting, there are more interesting vines than this one.

Neutral kathyctbc On Mar 15, 2002, kathyctbc wrote:

Pendulous, fragrant flowers are a bonus!

Washington D.c.,
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Mesa, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)
Tucson, Arizona
Los Angeles, California
Menifee, California
Palm Springs, California
Palo Alto, California
San Jose, California (2 reports)
Santa Clara, California