Dutchman's Pipe 'Brasiliensis'

Aristolochia gigantea

Family: Aristolochiaceae
Genus: Aristolochia (a-ris-toh-LOH-kee-uh) (Info)
Species: gigantea (jy-GAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Brasiliensis
Synonym:Aristolochia brasiliensis

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Los Angeles, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Santa Ana, California

Baytown, Texas

Port Arthur, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Apr 6, 2013, TimChapman from Saint Gabriel, LA wrote:

Please note that A brasiliensis as a species name is actually a synonym of A labiata. A gigantea 'brasiliensis' is something totally different. For now both the regular form and 'brasiliensis' forms are the same species , A gigantea. There is some debate that the giant form should be its own species. There are other giant forms out there besides the more commonly grown 'brasiliensis' type.

On Feb 25, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

I often wondered whether Dutchman's Pipe 'gigantea' was a hybrid. This was explained clearly to me with last post that it isn't. Mine did produce seeds, but winter frost blackened the leaves and young growth. I left the large, fibrous vines and hope to see them come back this spring. If they don't; I'll surely treat them as annual vines for these are show stoppers! Very exotic looking flowers. Leave are almost heart shape. Some books stated that it's hardy as far as zone 5. It's more accurate here (at DG's PF classified this under zone 8b+).
Gardener in zone 7b

On Aug 23, 2005, eengland from San Diego & San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I made this category because I think that there is some confusion between A. gigantea and A. brasiliensis. Sometimes this plant is called A. gigantea "brasiliensis" although it is not a cultivar - it is it's own species and can be grown true from seed.

A. brasiliensis has larger, floppier, definitely lemon-scented flowers that are lighter coloured than A. gigantea. Otherwise, the plants are very similiar to the point of my not being able to identify them if not in flower. The primary visual difference in the plants (other than the inflorescence) allegedly has to do with the amount of pointiness in the leaves according to one nurseryman I spoke with who also grows both species. I am not adept and telling them apart but he was able to do... read more