Siberian Bellflower, Bell Flower
Campanula sibirica

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campanula (kam-PAN-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: sibirica (sy-BEER-ah-kuh) (Info)

Blue-Violet

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

Cisne, Illinois

Sherwood, Oregon

Gilmer, Texas

Lorton, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

positive

On Oct 27, 2014, rondawill22 from Spokane, WA wrote:

Much like our friend in Bonner's Ferry, ID, in Spokane, WA this grows well and can be invasive. Grows in sunny as well as partial shade, in my iris, grapes, flower bed and yes it grows from a rhizome. You must pull it, dig it and control it or it will be everywhere. Or use it where it can fill a bare spot and treat it as if it a naturalized plant.

On Oct 27, 2014, claricemc from Bonners Ferry, ID wrote:

My former neighbor soon after I moved here in '97 pointed to the pretty purple bell-shaped flower on my side of her fence and said she was afraid it was "night shade," a poisonous woodland flower here in northernmost Idaho. I took a sample to a Forest Service botanist and confirmed it was not Night Shade. Since it was beautiful and on my side, I continued to enjoy it. However, within a few years it was showing up all over my gardens. Each time it appeared where I didn't want it, I dug it up with my handy weeder, and next year it was even more prolific. I began to look at it as a weed now and was becoming frustrated. Last year, after 17 years of pulling and finding more the next season, I happened to be spading down deep to plant a peony bush in the midst of some of the purple flower ... read more

On Jul 2, 2013, Carmela2000 wrote:

I found out about this plant during a trip to Milford, Pennsylvania, to visit a historical site called "Grey Towers" which includes some of the prettiest gardens I've seen. On this occasion I took a picture of some pretty ground cover star-shaped flowers, blue-purple in color.