Grecian Windflower, Poppy Anemone

Anemone coronaria

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anemone (uh-NEM-oh-nee) (Info)
Species: coronaria (kor-oh-NAR-ee-uh) (Info)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Newport News, Virginia

Gig Harbor, Washington

Kirkland, Washington

On Feb 9, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the second type of Poppy Anemone I have planted. In both cases, the colors have been very vibrant. I plant the bulbs in the fall and the plants appear in early winter. They have showed no signs of faltering with tempatures that sometimes have gone to below 20 degrees. The first bloom in my garden this year was a purple Poppy Anemone. It bloomed for me on January 20th. However last year I believe the Anemone bloomed much later. The bloom did just fine even with two 21 degree nights. I believe these flowers don't get the fame they deserve. They are stunning and even their fern like foilage is appreciated for it's beauty here in the desert! Adding new note on this: This plant has bloomed, for 2 1/2 months straight and is still blooming (Mid Jan through Early April).

On Mar 29, 2012, astrogard from Gig Harbor, WA wrote:

Sibilagorjeana, can you give us a quick summary or website reference about the place Poppy Anemone has in European history?

On May 30, 2008, Sibilagorjeana from Bucharest
Romania (Zone 6a) wrote:

I like these plants expecially for their delicate, fairy-like appearance. They have their particular place in European flora and history.

On Jan 19, 2004, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this flower. Sometimes the tubers (bulbs?) have overwintered in my Zone 5 - sometimes not! If I do not see them break dormancy in late spring, I simply plant another bunch (or two or three). I cannot recommend a specific exposure for Zone 5 - I have had them come back in an exposed area while not coming back in a protected area! But they are inexpensive enough to simply plant some every fall & spring to be assured of having them!

On Aug 8, 2003, starshine from Bend, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

These flowers resemble poppies when in bloom. They do not last very long, but the basal is pretty. Occasionally they will bloom at different times on different plants in the same location.

On Apr 3, 2003, efmesch wrote:

My garden has been graced by lovely Anemones of mixed colors for about three years. Originally I planted corms that I bought. Each year their number increases and I'm not certain if this is from natural increase in the corms or from the seeds they produce which I spread in the flower bed in the spring, as they are produced.
In the wild, a variety of smaller, red Anemones returns to the fields of Israel in the winter annually.
I am interested in knowing if anyone can recommend a method of breaking seed dormancy for these plants so as to try to garden-grow them in the summer.

On May 19, 2002, naturepatch from Morris, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very showy flowers, but tempermental. I can grow them in zone 5 with 30% becoming perennial in nature. The blues and pinks are stunning flowers. They will reportedly produce up to 20 flowers per tuber in one season. I think the most I've gotten off one tuber is 10. It doest increase the sucess rate by soaking the tubers before planting. They usually bloom in late spring to early summer, and occasionally re-bloom in fall.

On Aug 17, 2001, Trish from Jacksonville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Grown from tuberous rooting. Some gardeners soak tubers for a few hours before planting. They are short lived in warmer areas, and are often treated as annuals. Best if planted in a spot that gets shade every day. Common large-flowered, showy anemone valued for cutting and for spectacular color in spring borders. Finely divided green leaves. Flowers red, blue, tones and mixtures of these colors, and white, 1 1/2- 2 1/2 in. across, borne singly on 6-18 in. stems.