Tomato 'Andes Horn'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Andes Horn
Additional cultivar information:(aka Horn of the Andes, Andes, Andine Cornue, Poivron des Andes, Cornue des Andes)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Dearborn, Michigan

Port Elizabeth, New Jersey

On Sep 3, 2013, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a magnificent tomato whose qualities for eating and processing have already been commented upon. What I find irresistible apart from the flavour, is the fact that its fruits are nearly all flesh.

I have just harvested my first tomatoes of the season (we had a very cold snap at the end of April that held everything up) and the ripest, albeit small (4" in length) had just four seeds and negligible amounts of juice! (picture appended)

Yummy yummy yummy...

On Sep 28, 2009, nancyruhl from Dearborn, MI wrote:

I grew this tomato this year, obtaining the seed from Tomatofest under the name Andes. Could find the seeds under the names given above. I compared it with romas and san marzano redorta, in my quest to find a good tasting and easy to peel paste tomato. It won hands down. Will grow more next year

On Aug 5, 2008, greenhouse_gal from Southern NJ
United States (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a delicious tomato with an elongated shape and thick walls. It's good for paste and sauce as well as eating in a salad. The flavor is rich, complex and slightly sweet. I think it is going to be one of my favorite varieties.

On Jul 17, 2006, jessums from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Originally from the Andes Mountains, it is suitable for high altitude areas. The shape is like a cow horn and around seven inches long.

On Jan 30, 2006, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenées
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a very popular tomato here in France. It's known as 'Cornu des Andes' which translates as 'Horn of the Andes' - an obvious reference to its shape. The flavour is superb. I would go so far as to say that this is the best tomato for taste and texture that I have ever eaten.

On Sep 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

3 X 6 in. true-red, long, squarish fruits. The flesh is meaty, and full-bodied, with a great balance of subtle flavors. The fruits fall off the vine when ripe and the skins slip off easily - great when processing or peeling raw tomatoes.