PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Mortgage Lifter - Red'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Mortgage Lifter - Red
Additional cultivar information: (aka Mortgage Lifter VFN, Red Mortgage Lifter)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Regular Leaf

By mgarr
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by mgarr

Positive sunreigns On Jul 26, 2013, sunreigns from Omaha, NE wrote:

I planted two Mortgage Lifter plants on May 18 and have just picked the second of the ripe fruit from those plants. Production on both plants is off the charts- they are covered with green and ripening fruit of various sizes. They are in raised beds, and I water them daily when it doesnt rain and use fish/seaweed fertilizer on them.

Taste is pretty good, but I wouldn't put it in the top tier. I am eating both a Mortgage Lifter and a Cherokee Purple right now, and the Cherokee is better. The Cherokee also has a smoother, juicier texture. (I am also eating a Nebraska Wedding, which isn't as tasty as either of the others.) However, given the good production, nice size, and decent flavor I'll definitely grow Mortgage Lifter again.

Positive CommonCents On Mar 11, 2013, CommonCents from Jasper, GA wrote:

I grew 2 vines of this variety in 2012. It was an afterthought. There was one plant left at the local HomeDepot, and it was huge (it was late in planting season). I bought it, and planted two vines from it (there was one huge sucker off the first branch which I cut off and rooted for the second vine). I thinned my blossoms down to only one or maybe two per cluster, and I had the biggest, juiciest, most delicious red tomatoes from my garden. I got some tomatoes from one vine that were over 2 pounds. These were better tomatoes than the Brandywines I grow. I did have some hornworms on them, and some minor damage from that, but they continued to grow and produce even after the damage. The were not as productive during the heat and drought we had in late summer, even though I kept them watered. They did better in that than the Brandywines, though. I'll be growing 3 vines in 2013 from seeds from my 2012 harvest.

Positive rspoilsport On Sep 5, 2011, rspoilsport from Yellow Springs, OH wrote:

I've grown over 20 varieties, and this rates near the top in flavor along with Palestinian and Brandywine. Yield is not so good, though I admit it was in a rather cramped and shady spot.

Positive Suze_ On Dec 14, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Fairly good flavor, did well for me when I grew it. Yes, open-pollinated, but was tested at some point for various disease tolerances, hence the VFN designation.

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 2, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A large red beefsteak, that has as many origen stories as Radiator Charlies version (Pink).

Springdale, Arkansas
San Clemente, California
Jasper, Georgia (2 reports)
Lilburn, Georgia