PlantFiles: Japanese Burnet
Sanguisorba obtusa

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sanguisorba (san-GWIS-or-ba) (Info)
Species: obtusa (ob-TOO-suh) (Info)

By Joy

Thumbnail #6 of Sanguisorba obtusa by echoes

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Sanguisorba obtusa by DaylilySLP

Positive CatskillKarma On Oct 31, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I am a great fan of sanguisorbas. The cultivar I have is a somewhat darker shade of pink and has been thriving near a gate from my garden into a meadow, near a wellhead.-moist heavy clay. I have several other sanguisorbas, the commonly sold garden burnet --which is usually sold as an herb, and a great burnet that has similar leaves, but less tassle-like heads and a garnet colored flower. The great burnet is still flowering in late October in my Catskill garden and makes a very pretty dried flower. The leaves of both the great Burnet and the Japanese (obtusa) are rather fern-like and very handsome. The regular salad burnet is also handsome, but less graceful as it forms a low-growing mophead. At one point, when I went to move the great burnet, I broke off the very deep taproot accidentally. I planted both pieces, and while they took a year to fully regenerate, both did beautifully.
I find these plants very handsome and they attract attention to themselves in my garden. Highly recommended.

Neutral lmelling On Oct 28, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

A very tough, unusual plant. I have two in the center of my garden in a rather wet spot. One does extremely well and the other, not quite so well - it comes back each year at about 1/2 the size it should. I have tried to move these but have not been able to get down far enough to remove the root ball! The soil is so wet that only major power digging would accomplish the feat - so I've decided to leave them as is. They've lived through even one of the wettest seasons on record!

The flowers look similar to a bottle brush and are med pink fading to light pink and finally brown. If you keep deadheaded it flowers from mid summer through early fall. Not the most beautiful of plants, but it does occasionally make a head turn.

Fridley, Minnesota