Snow Pea, Oriental Pea 'Taichung 11'

Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pisum (PEES-um) (Info)
Species: sativum var. macrocarpon
Cultivar: Taichung 11

Not Applicable

Pale Pink

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Berkeley, California

Irvine, California

Charlottesville, Virginia

On Sep 15, 2013, wnsgan from Irvine, CA wrote:

I have been planting Taichung 11 snow peas for several years in my Irvine garden. It yields plenty of of pea pods and is excellent for Asian stir fry. I usually plant seeds in October. Picking starts around Christmas time and can last until February. I have tried different snow peas but had most of luck with Taichung 11.

One strange thing: In my first year of planting this pea, the plants were short and compact, but in the last couple years the plants became taller and lanky. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't give fertilizer except some compost at planting time. May be the nitrogen-fixing bacteria is taking hold in my garden, and so the peas have too much nitrogen? Any comments? I like it to be compact.

On Jun 3, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I came here looking for details on growing this plant, but I guess I'm the first to have much experience at it on DG. I planted seeds that were packed for the 2004 season in 2007. Most of them germinated anyway. It took me a while to get my starts in the ground this year, but some of the plants started thriving when I did. Others not. I planted the snow peas along the edges of a huge raised bed that runs from east to west in my yard. The center of the bed was planted with fingerling potatoes, arugula, marigolds and calendula. Some of the plants thrived and others got yellow, dried and died. I'm not sure why. I suspect it has something to do with amounts of sunlight.

In any case, the peas are tasty. I only started about 10 plants and 4 or so died. So right now I'm no... read more

On Sep 5, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 70 day, 4 inch snow pea.