PlantFiles: Snow Pea, Oriental Pea
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon 'Taichung 11'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pisum (PEES-um) (Info)
Species: sativum var. macrocarpon
Cultivar: Taichung 11

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Pale Pink

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Thumbnail #1 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by spidra

Thumbnail #2 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by spidra

Thumbnail #3 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by spidra

By wnsgan
Thumbnail #4 of Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon by wnsgan

Positive wnsgan On Sep 15, 2013, wnsgan from Irvine, CA wrote:

I have been planting Taichung 11 snow peas for several years in my Irvine garden. It yields plenty of of pea pods and is excellent for Asian stir fry. I usually plant seeds in October. Picking starts around Christmas time and can last until February. I have tried different snow peas but had most of luck with Taichung 11.

One strange thing: In my first year of planting this pea, the plants were short and compact, but in the last couple years the plants became taller and lanky. Does anyone know what is going on? I don't give fertilizer except some compost at planting time. May be the nitrogen-fixing bacteria is taking hold in my garden, and so the peas have too much nitrogen? Any comments? I like it to be compact.

Positive spidra On Jun 3, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I came here looking for details on growing this plant, but I guess I'm the first to have much experience at it on DG. I planted seeds that were packed for the 2004 season in 2007. Most of them germinated anyway. It took me a while to get my starts in the ground this year, but some of the plants started thriving when I did. Others not. I planted the snow peas along the edges of a huge raised bed that runs from east to west in my yard. The center of the bed was planted with fingerling potatoes, arugula, marigolds and calendula. Some of the plants thrived and others got yellow, dried and died. I'm not sure why. I suspect it has something to do with amounts of sunlight.

In any case, the peas are tasty. I only started about 10 plants and 4 or so died. So right now I'm not getting enough snow peas at the same time to make a decent serving. So plant a fair amount of this plant, esp. if you love snow peas as much as I do.

The flowers are pretty, pale pink shading to white. The stems are very fragile and hollow. It doesn't take much to break them so be really careful. Though I planted them near stakes, the vines didn't want to grow up the stakes. they just sprawled around. I supposed I'd have to tie them to the stakes to get them to stay.

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 5, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 70 day, 4 inch snow pea.

Berkeley, California