PlantFiles: Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea 'Rosea'

Family: Nyctaginaceae (nyk-taj-i-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bougainvillea (boo-gan-VIL-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By Kell

By passiflora07
Thumbnail #5 of Bougainvillea  by passiflora07

By pearl
Thumbnail #6 of Bougainvillea  by pearl

Negative mizar5 On Jan 20, 2011, mizar5 from Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Must agree with the other "negative" rating for the same reasons. Also, the papery flowers will blow all over the place, including into your neighbor's yard (they may not appreciate the "litter").

Positive crengle62 On Feb 9, 2009, crengle62 from Marina, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

The plant does well in containers and in the ground here once it froze and all the leaves dropped off,but it came back in the spring more vigorous than before,I tried to move one out of the ground to another location and all the leaves fell off and I don,t know if it will come back in the spring we'll see..it still is green inside the bark,I heard you are not to transplant big specimens,does anyone know?? thanx happy gardening!

Negative passiflora07 On Feb 9, 2008, passiflora07 from Fern Park, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

As much as so many people love the bougainvillea, I have to say I'm not a fan. Unless you have a VERY large space for it to grow, it can quickly get out of control, and trimming it can be painful, if not bloody. Mine was planted by the previous owners in partial shade, so it grows really scraggly and leggy, so I'm always trimming it. I guess in the right location it is a beautiful plant, but in my case, I can't wait to get rid of it! I'm going to upload a picture of mine onto this PlantFile so you can see what I mean.

Positive RainFallFlowers On May 19, 2006, RainFallFlowers from Hernando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have one that I bought at a Master Gardening Sale Last year, its still alive but I have yet to see a bloom on it, It died back over the winter but is growing faster this year.

I also just bought one at Walmart over the Past Week, Gorgeous Color, It has blooms all over it and it is half the size of my other one, So I am planting in the ground today.
I bought the beautiful blooming plant for 7.00 , so to me that was a great deal especially if it stays alive and keeps up with those beautiful flowers.

Positive Sendone2me On Sep 21, 2005, Sendone2me from Orlando, FL wrote:

Gee, I bet these are beautiful. I have never had any luck with Bougainvillea. I would like to have some to try again. Do they have seed. I had one with a varigated foilage and then got tired of it because it just grew and grew and wouldnt bloom. but see them blooming everywhere here and they overwinter outside. we rarely have freezing weather and when we do it only lasts about 2 or three hrs. Thanks for sharing and tell me something about how to make them bloom. Fran

Positive Kell On Sep 8, 2005, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The general rule with bougainvilleas is the lighter the color the more cold sensitive they are. This one is a medium pink, so I suspect it is not as cold hardy as others I have that are darker. I have a huge dark purple one that has been growing in the ground for over 25 years. Because it gets in the 30s here and can dip below 30 for a few hours at a time, it is deciduous though in warmer climates it is evergreen.

I am growing this one as free standing standard tree in a huge container. I will move it with my other potted bougainvilleas under an overhang for the winter and will rarely water it all winter, allowing it to go dormant as it will drop its leaves as soon as it gets cold here. I am in Zone 9A-B

This one has been a profuse bloomer for me, often I cannot even see a green leaf through all the blooms. The color is a stunning true pink of medium shade.

Bessemer, Alabama