It's time for the DG county fair! Enter your best pictures and recipes for a chance to win a blue ribbon and subscription!

Texas Sage, Texas Ranger, Cenizo, Barometer Bush, Silverleaf, Purple Sage
Leucophyllum frutescens 'Compacta'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucophyllum (loo-koh-FIL-um) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Compacta

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Violet/Lavender

Purple

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

Benson, Arizona

Las Vegas, Nevada

Las Cruces, New Mexico

Bandera, Texas

On Jan 5, 2011, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

An amazing, incredibly fast-growing shrub. The four little 1-gallon plants that I planted in Dec. '09 (weeks before a devastating freeze) are now 5-foot tall behemoths. Their ridiculously silver color puts even the silverness of my Bismarckia nobilis (which they surround) to shame. They have literally never had a single brown leaf, and grow in such a pleasant "flame" shape that I have never had any desire to prune them. As with all varities within this species, they flower profusely whenever it's about to rain, hence their nickname of Barometer Plant. And yes, they can take lots of rain and humidity in this part of the world, so their adaptability to non-desert environs is exceptional.

Update, May 2012: I've planted 3 more, bringing my total to 7. And I could see mysel... read more

On Nov 27, 2008, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant has been sooooo easy. It's taken over the northeast corner of the house, and requires very little care. It just GROWS. I liked it so much that I've put another on the southwest corner a bit farther away from the house now that I know how big they get!!

On Sep 14, 2008, Bisbeebloomer from Bisbee, AZ wrote:

This gorgeous plant grows well in our poor soil here in extreme south-eastern Arizona. Plant it in full sun. Either fall or spring planting will work. Water it every three or four days for the first two or three weeks; then water it about every week or 10 days for the first year. It doesn't like too much water and it doesn't seem to like--or require--supplemental fertilizer, although each year before the monsoons start, I give my whole garden a top dressing of manure--goat and rabbit are wonderful as they don't require any particular decomposition time--and let the rain soak it to make a wonderful "tea" that gets right down to the roots. If the winter is dry, water the plant about once a month. Blooming starts here in late spring and its bluey/purple flowers continue till late fall. ... read more