PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Rose'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Rose

Potato Leaf

By LilyLover_UT
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by LilyLover_UT

Positive craighead421 On Jun 30, 2012, craighead421 from Charlotte, NC wrote:

Wonderful to say the least. Beautiful thick Potato Leaf Vines. Great flavor.Great Production.Thin Skin.Smooth without cracks and blemishes. Keeps producing through our hot NC summers. If you have problems with blossom drop I recommend putting down a thick layer of hay and keep it moist. It keeps the soil nice and cool and also helps cut down on soil borne diseases.

Neutral Niere On Sep 13, 2010, Niere from Chepachet, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grew this variety for the first time this year and I am SO glad I did! Similar to Brandywine but somewhat sweeter and meatier, but it still has a nice acid tone to it. It also has very few seeds. For us it's been very productive, a plus for it over Brandywine. I will always grow Brandywines but Rose has become a new staple for us. I would highly recommend this variety.

Positive SLO_Garden On Oct 9, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

The flavor of Rose is absolutely fabulous! It reminds me a lot of Brandywine or Caspian Pink--sweet and fragrant. However, production was very low. Rose seems to be sensitive to less than ideal weather (which we had this year in my area), dropping many blossoms when other varieties rolled with the punches. Because the few tomatoes that I got were so good, I will try it again next year to see if it does any better.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This heirloom tomato came from the Amish community in New Holland, PA.

Positive draggonflyseeds On Feb 16, 2007, draggonflyseeds from Clearbrook, MN wrote:

I'll pick "Rose" over any of the Brandywine's (or any other beefsteak I've tried so far) any day...for the incredible taste...the appearance...the size...the meaty, juicy texture with few seeds...the strong growth habit and good foliage cover...the abundant fruit set...and it's even been exceptionally disease resistant for me too.

I add a few new tomatoes varieties to try (and drop a few that were good...but not "good enough") every year to "experiment and look for the "best" to keep growing...Rose is one of those "Best". This one has it all...it's been with me since I first grew it a number of years ago..and one of the few that I'll absolutely keep growing every year. Rose's praises are also sung by everyone I give the young plants to in the spring and everyone I give fresh tomatoes to when the pickin' begins.

Positive Sequee On Aug 5, 2006, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Truly the most beautiful tomato I have ever grown. The foliage is full and thick; the tomato itself is a gorgeous color, fluted, and absolutely flawless. And the taste? Divine!

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 12, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Vibrant plant, that can grow over 8 feet. Produces gorgeous glowing rose-purple 1 pound+ fruits. The fruits are somewhat fluted, very sweet and juicy and meaty. Very Productive.

Bonsall, California