PlantFiles: Eggplant
Solanum melongena var. esculentum 'Ping Tung'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: melongena var. esculentum
Cultivar: Ping Tung

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Violet/Lavender

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By LilyLover_UT
Thumbnail #1 of Solanum melongena var. esculentum by LilyLover_UT

By ocimum_nate
Thumbnail #2 of Solanum melongena var. esculentum by ocimum_nate

Neutral Sherilou On Jul 25, 2013, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

In spite of their prime location, my three Ping Tung Eggplant plants barely produced for me. They completely quit producing for me in July. The skin was bitter, even when young. It was seedy as well. I purchased my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. There are better Asian Eggplants out there. I prefer Waimanalo Long.

Positive digger808 On Aug 21, 2012, digger808 from Winchester, VA wrote:

In my area (Northern Virginia), this is the only high producing eggplant I have found. They are later than 'Apple Green' or 'Purple Blush' 'cool weather' varieties that I've tried, but when they do kick in, the production has been much better than either of these. The taste is very good as well. I've grown them in containers and in the ground and they did equally great. Last year, with the Apple Greens and Purple Blushes nearby, the flea beatles destroyed them and barely touched the Ping Tungs, but this year with only Ping Tungs, they seem to be attacking them much worse. I read that eggplants need lots of water to survive, but I've regularly missed watering them with no noticeable impact. The only downside I can see with them, being smaller diameter, they don't work in dishes built around a larger diameter version.

Positive nsobgyn On Sep 15, 2011, nsobgyn from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

This did very well during our south florida summer . Very few vegetables usually do: its too hot and oppressive.
( zone 10a). It is still growing strong. The eggplants grow very fast and taste delicious. I

Positive Breezymeadow On Sep 12, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this variety for the 1st time this year. It's an heirloom variety from Taiwan & one of the best Chinese eggplants on the market. I completely agree.

Started mine indoors from seed end of March & had 100% germination in 6 days. Plants hardened off & planted out well, growing swiftly whether in the ground or in deck containers. Fought off flea beetles on their own with no help required from me other than rinsing the pests off occasionally with plain water. Water requirements - even in containers - was amazingly frugal.

Fruits are a lovely bright royal/neon purple. Although purported to reach 18" in length, I harvested mine at around 12". They were firm yet tender, not at all bitter, with a tender skin that did not need peeling. I used them diced in Asian stirfries & Indian curries, as well as sliced in Italian Parmesan bakes with equal success.

Will definitely be on my "must grow" list for next season.

West Palm Beach, Florida