Eggplant 'Ping Tung'

Solanum melongena var. esculentum

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: melongena var. esculentum
Cultivar: Ping Tung

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Albion, California

West Palm Beach, Florida

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Los Alamos, New Mexico

American Fork, Utah

Ogden, Utah

Winchester, Virginia

On Jul 16, 2015, albionwood from Albion, CA wrote:

Grew Ping Tung in containers last year in a greenhouse (necessary on the windy, cold Mendocino coast). Performed very well, especially in larger containers. Vigorous growth, slower to produce than Black Shine but fruits of much better quality: long, narrow, thin tender skin, dense flesh, holds up well in cooking. Very productive.

Seeds from Baker Creek; inconsistent germination, selected the most vigorous seedlings for transplant.

On Jul 25, 2013, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

In spite of their prime location, my three Ping Tung Eggplant plants barely produced for me. They completely quit producing for me in July. The skin was bitter, even when young. It was seedy as well. I purchased my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. There are better Asian Eggplants out there. I prefer Waimanalo Long.

On Aug 21, 2012, digger808 from Winchester, VA wrote:

In my area (Northern Virginia), this is the only high producing eggplant I have found. They are later than 'Apple Green' or 'Purple Blush' 'cool weather' varieties that I've tried, but when they do kick in, the production has been much better than either of these. The taste is very good as well. I've grown them in containers and in the ground and they did equally great. Last year, with the Apple Greens and Purple Blushes nearby, the flea beatles destroyed them and barely touched the Ping Tungs, but this year with only Ping Tungs, they seem to be attacking them much worse. I read that eggplants need lots of water to survive, but I've regularly missed watering them with no noticeable impact. The only downside I can see with them, being smaller diameter, they don't work in dishes built ... read more

On Sep 15, 2011, nsobgyn from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

This did very well during our south florida summer . Very few vegetables usually do: its too hot and oppressive.
( zone 10a). It is still growing strong. The eggplants grow very fast and taste delicious. I

On Sep 12, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew this variety for the 1st time this year. It's an heirloom variety from Taiwan & one of the best Chinese eggplants on the market. I completely agree.

Started mine indoors from seed end of March & had 100% germination in 6 days. Plants hardened off & planted out well, growing swiftly whether in the ground or in deck containers. Fought off flea beetles on their own with no help required from me other than rinsing the pests off occasionally with plain water. Water requirements - even in containers - was amazingly frugal.

Fruits are a lovely bright royal/neon purple. Although purported to reach 18" in length, I harvested mine at around 12". They were firm yet tender, not at all bitter, with a tender skin that did not need peeling. I used them diced in... read more