Bower Actinidia, Hardy Kiwi, Tara Vine, Yang Tao
Actinidia arguta 'Issai'

Family: Actinidiaceae (ak-tin-id-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Actinidia (ak-tih-NID-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: arguta (ar-GOO-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Issai

North Sultan, Washington

Renton, Washington

negative

On May 14, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I don't have a ton of experience with this vine, but it always has blackened sick-looking leaves until the deciduous tree above it blocks out the sun, and then it looks beautiful and flourishes. In hot dry areas it appears to be more of a part-shade plant. Move it (if you can) into some shade and see what happens. Good luck all!

On Aug 21, 2011, PermaCycle from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

About comments regarding blackening of leaves and blossom rot, I would start with a soil test to check your soil's pH, as there can be several reasons this is happening. The blackening also indicates perhaps there is some root rot going on and you may want to insure that the soil is properly draining. If not, replant your vine and raise its position a foot above the current soil level. Use some crushed granite in the mix to promote better aeration as well as drainage. First, however, we know that this plant grows better in slightly acidic to moderately alkaline soil . Secondly, the plant is not self-fertile and thus requires fertilizing at least twice per year: in early spring (NKP+C) and early summer (triple phosphate+C). To moderately change your soil's pH, try putting down a layer of oa... read more

On Jun 30, 2011, ergick from Renton, WA wrote:

I have had my plant for about 7 years. Live in Renton Wa and the plant flowers great but the stems turn black every year and the blossems fall off. Can anyone tell me why?

On Jun 9, 2008, nicjw from Tooele, UT wrote:

hady to-35
Subject: actinidia-arguta-issai

I live in zone 6b Utah
I got this plant last year and all the leaves turnd black and died back to base. I didn't over water, the plant was in full sun! i also had a cherry tomato planted next to it (touching leaves)
and it did't have the prob transfer! I know I'm not the first to have this prob. but no one has an answer yet. please help!
I got one more this year to try again I havn't even taken it out of the pot yet and the same prob showed up! again please help thanks,
nic

On Jan 22, 2007, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a female cultivar. Issai is reported to produce up to 100 lbs of fruit in one season.

On Jan 21, 2007, Chills from Saint Clair Shores, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had this plant for 4 years now and it grows well (but it does lose out late in the season to Sweet Autumn Clematis, so its not as rambunctious as that climber). I have yet to have it bloom or fruit.

Most varieties of this vine are either male or female and one of each is required for fruit (though one male can service as many as 8 females)

Pruning should not be done in early spring as the plant has the habit of excessive bleeding and the plant requires even moisture and cannot sit in standing water.

I'm hoping this year to get fruit (3-5 years is the norm).

The fruit is reported to be like other kiwi, but fuzzless and sweeter.

On Apr 6, 2006, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Purchased this plant at our local nursery and will post here the information I have gleaned for this culitivar and edit this post later with my observations. I am training it to grow on a bamboo teepee that is 12 ft. tall.

"This cultivar from Japan is apparently a hybrid of Actinidia arguta. It is distinctly different in appearance and behavior from other A. argutas. A self-pollinator, it bears long fruit to 1 3/4" in length. Often bears fruit the year after planting. Much less vigorous than other A. arguta cultivars (this can be an advantage where space is limited). Hardy to about -15F, but sometimes injured at higher temperatures. Has not been reliably hardy here. Capable of pollinating other A. argutas, but blossoms relatively late, so it is probably effective as a po... read more