Large Flowered Climbing Rose, Hybrid Bracteata Rose
Rosa 'Mermaid'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mermaid
Additional cultivar information:(aka The Mermaid)
Hybridized by Paul

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Charlotte, North Carolina

Magnolia, Texas

On Jun 18, 2011, jlee_NM from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I bought this plant about 3 years ago and have moved it three times! Poor plant! :( ... Yet she is still alive, even after our big freeze this late winter when temps got down to -24 F. Mermaid froze to the ground where she was growing, a hot hillside. She had problems there due to boxelder bugs from the a maple tree in the BY. They were devouring 'Mermaid.' So I promised myself to move her this spring--and I did--to a sunny spot in the BY, a NW corner. She's growing well there, along with rosa banksiae 'Purezza'. I figured they could just grow together and spill over the corner walls. They are both quite happy with the move and I think the southern, protected exposure in winter will bring them through just fine. I have no plans to even do any formal pruning of them.

On Feb 4, 2011, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I just got this rose a few months ago from a mail order rose nursery... it is still a juvenile but that doesn't stop it from blooming! I can't wait until it gets a bit bigger so I can see more blooms because they are very beautiful!

As for thorns... yeah, they are tiny, yeah they are pretty brutal but not as bad as my Cherokee Rose. I merely glance at the Cherokee and it stabs me. This one isn't as bad but, then again, there is less plant.

I haven't had any problems with black spot (since it is so humid here, black spot is a real problem) with it at all so far. I spray Neem often, so I guess it is keeping it away. I am afraid to test it's limits because it is so small, I don't want to lose it.

It is getting ready to bloom again! Saw another b... read more

On Mar 10, 2008, kimberlihiggins from Little Rock, AR wrote:

Fast grower, can cover a small structure in one year. Very thorny, but BREATHTAKING!! Plant on a fence where you need added security and have plenty of room for it to ramble. First year : single bloosms, second year large clusters of blooms. Color fads in heat.

On Mar 12, 2007, omegabook from La Mesa, CA wrote:

Mermaid grows on my back fence--in fact, it dominates the fence. The rose grows vigorously with no fertilizing and puts out huge amounts of new growth and blooms. It is unapproachable, however, with nasty thorns, making it difficult to prune and try to control its growth. Put it in an area where people do not pass by. A truly impressive plant.

On Jun 12, 2006, Silphion from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Ahh the Mermaid, this has to be my favorite rose

On the south side of my Z8b garden it is consistantly green throughout the winter. My fence on that side is ugly chain link and the traffic on the road is heavy with people, some polite, some whom I'de rather not have as yard guests...enter the Mermaid!

I made an extensive effort to find a climbing rose with 3 things: 1) Evergreen (or as close as roses get to evergreen) 2) large white blooms (I have a Kousa dogwood and wanted a flower that would echo that look, my Mermaid's blooms are only barley tinted with yellow) 3) Excessive thornyness...

I haven't met a nastier rose than the Mermaid (nasty in a good way) and though the thorns aren't huge like Hybrid-t's they are set at a wickedly acute angle... read more

On Apr 20, 2006, nanarose from Lodi, CA wrote:

Ive had her planted for 5 years and she is only 8 ft. absolutley heavenly flowers. I also have two starts on own root
Dev

On Jun 29, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I thought I've lost her during the harsh winter 2002/2003...but she 's growing back again with relative big single blooms (12 cm across I've measured). She has a mild perfume...very nice. She was also one of Monet's favourite roses in his garden at Giverny. He grew her near his bedroom window. I'll try to let her kreep through my garden instead of climbing. Let's see if she can find her way.

On Feb 13, 2001, Grits from Pineville, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

1918 15-25' Repeat Bloom Zones 4-10
This is one of the outstanding "characters" in rosedom. It is in constant demand - though considered cantankerous by commercial growers. Grows beautifully spilling over at the top of a mound or on a fence or over a building. Easily established. Covers a trellis usually the first year.

It's 5" soft yellow, single flowers continue all season - wild rose fragrance.

Hardy except in sub-zero climates.