PlantFiles: Perennial Wallflower
Erysimum 'Bowles' Mauve'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Erysimum (er-RIS-ih-mum) (Info)
Cultivar: Bowles' Mauve

Synonym:Cheiranthus

Alpines and Rock Gardens
Biennials

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By Todd_Boland

Thumbnail #6 of Erysimum  by kniphofia

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Erysimum  by growin

Neutral coriaceous On Feb 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A good bedding plant here. Very long season of bloom, but it usually dies over winter. The few times it's survived, it's looked very disheveled the next spring, with lots of dieback. Definitely not hardy in Boston Z6a.

Positive FallbrookGardnr On Jun 12, 2012, FallbrookGardnr from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

This plant is a champ for Fallbrook, CA. Constant blooming flowers make this a hit for me. Planted in April & it has just taken off in the planter. Faces west so it gets 6 or more hours of full sun. Lets see how it does through the hot summer!

Positive Domehomedee On Mar 20, 2012, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this plant in my garden for many years. They're not picky about sun exposure ,soil, or even water for that matter. Their lifespan seems to be about 5 years. A prolific bloomer, they are easily "neated up" by trimming off spent flower stalks. I received one last year that was leggy, and the main trunk had split. I trimmed it way back with the attitude that it will either come back nice or die. It looks beautiful this year and is already blooming late March, in almost full shade. I've never had any volunteers but I'd be glad if I did!

Positive sonomaheaven On Feb 24, 2012, sonomaheaven from Sebastopol, CA wrote:

This is absolutely my most favorite plant. Mine have been blooming their heads off for at least 8 years. No known pests and it will take more water than suggested. Instead of shearing the plant back, I take the time with tiny clippers to cut back only the spent flowers. I guess it may be why it blooms continuously. I love the rounded shape that looks compact but natural. I just planted five more of them and already added an orange flowered one that took a little bit longer to get moving. I only prune when branches die or it needs a little heading back. Bonus: The butterflies, bees and hummingbirds all love them.

Positive enidrena On Jun 11, 2011, enidrena from salt spring island

The Bowles Mauve that l have in a dry sunny spot doesn't do quite as well as the ones in partial shade, but l've had a life-long love affair with them.. as they propagate readily from cuttings and after early summer haircuts they keep on giving all summer
long. The weather here in southwestern British Columbia suits them well and l think their colour and perfume are a MUST in any spring - summer garden !

Negative RainbowGirl On Apr 24, 2011, RainbowGirl from Seattle, WA wrote:

I planted my Erysimum last summer and was so excited to see it bloom again this Spring but over the winter it had lost all its leaves (which I didn't realize was abnormal until I read recently that this is suppose to be an evergreen) and all the stems have turned to brittle wood. In other words, I think it may be dead. I thought this was an easy plant to keep so I don't understand what happened. It has one branch that is still growing leaves and flowers but other than that, nothing. I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though we had a few days of freezing temps this winter, it was relatively mild. I will probably try and replace it with a new one but not knowing what I did wrong to this one, I don't have much faith the next one will survive either.

Positive otter47 On Mar 26, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

Wallflower 'Bowles Mauve' is one of the showiest and easy-care garden plants in my area and in much of California. It blooms heavily in spring with flowers covering the dome-like plants. Well-grown plants easily attain a yard in diameter. If the plants are sheared back in early summer when bloom becomes straggly, the plants send out new growth and some sporadic flowering during the rest of the year. They do "bloom themselves to death" and live around 3-5 years, but are readily replaced with fresh plants. Sheared back plants are a good source of cuttings. Unlike the common English wallflower, this cultivar does not set much seed (but I have occasionally found some volunteer seedlings). Plants are not fussy about soil and are water thrifty during our long dry season.

Positive sterhill On Mar 14, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A good sturdy plant that will flower throughout the season. I took cuttings from my plant last year and now have a dozen more plants - flowering now. The original plant is about 18" high and the cutting plants are about 10" high.

Errington,