Canada Anemone, Meadow Anemone
Anemone canadensis

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anemone (uh-NEM-oh-nee) (Info)
Species: canadensis (ka-na-DEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Anemone pennsylvanica

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Austell, Georgia

Royal Oak, Michigan

Chaska, Minnesota

Isle, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)

Munsonville, New Hampshire

Collingswood, New Jersey

Frenchtown, New Jersey

Buffalo, New York (2 reports)

Croton On Hudson, New York

Essex Junction, Vermont

Leesburg, Virginia

Olympia, Washington

On Oct 21, 2014, salemsilver from Littleton, MA wrote:

This is extremely invasive in zone 5a. I don't believe it sets seed but it does run underground. I have been trying to eliminate it for 30 years.

On Oct 8, 2014, cindyvog from Martinsville, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

Great for woodland groundcover, under shrubs, but terrible in a mixed border unless you are willing to dig at it. Disappeared during summer drought, but back again next spring. Acts like it hates to be transplanted but will show up. It will invade your grass so give it limits or complete freedom.

On Feb 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A pretty flower but a thug. I've seen more than one garden engulfed by this aggressive weed. Once planted, it spreads both by seed and by rhizomes underground. (Boston MA Z6a)

The New England Wildflower Society (Framingham, MA) had to herbicide their native wildflower meadow and start over from scratch after it had become an Anemone canadensis monoculture.

On Apr 10, 2012, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

This plant is native to my state of Indiana. It is said to repel wildlife.
I'm trying to plant a wildlife-friendly garden, so that's not a positive for me. However, it is great in a tough spot where you need something with vigor. Perfect for roadside gardens that get a lot of abuse (runoff, salt and sand) and in areas that need an aggressive plant to compete with a non-native/invasive species. The foliage looks good throughout the season and grows quickly to become a good ground cover. Does well in full sun and part shade. The flowers are whit... read more

On Jun 14, 2011, Eleven from Royal Oak, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I had planned on leaving a Neutral rating but changed my mind after reading the others. It self-sows freely and doesn't seem limited by lack of sun or water. I do actually like this plant and had planned to keep it, but it has become a thug even in my woodland garden.

On May 21, 2010, Weedwhacker from Bark River (UP), MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I discovered this plant growing wild on our property a number of years ago and transplanted a few to my mixed perennial border; although I have to agree with the comments about it being invasive and rapidly trying to take over, I've found that it's really quite easy to go through the flower bed in the spring and pull out whatever is growing where I don't want it and that pretty much takes care of it until the next spring. What I leave nicely fills in the bare spots between other plants as a ground cover. I would definitely recommend this plant, with the caveat that it might be difficult to ever completely get rid of it.

On Jun 23, 2008, EstelleMirage from Ste-Victoire

I also find this plant very invasive. It propagates at an alarming rate by rhizome and seeds at an alarming rate and will take control of a mixed perennial bed in less than 3 years.

But it is great for naturalization.

If you want to transplant them, do so in spring before flowering. The plants will become dormant and disappear, with foliage coming back in the fall and lots of flowers the next spring.

On Feb 18, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant is very lovely during early summer as it will send masses of flowers to the skies. But it is also very rapid spreading for a native species. I'm already surprised that this species is not planted more often because it is tough and I also never see it grow in a roadside environment. It will grow well both sun and woodland shade but for some reason it look very different in sun and shade. It grows faster in sun and bloom like crazy. In shade it will develop more leaves than usual but rarely blooms, usually tiny flowers but will spread by rhizomes anyway but more sparsely patches at first.

On Jun 18, 2006, Fireweed87 from Collingswood, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

The key to enjoying this charming little thug is to place it where it's permitted to spread within a confined area. I have a strip of land between our patio and the pavement where I've planted viburnum opulus for privacy, and used the anemone canadensis as a ground cover. It's lovely!

On Jan 24, 2005, oceangirl from Cape Cod, MA (Zone 7a) wrote:

As charming as it is, this plant is a thug in my garden. It spreads by seed and underground runners and it is very difficult to erradicate. If just a minute piece of the root is left in the soil, another will sprout up.The roots are brittle and break when you try to pull them.
The only reason this rating is neutral is because it is a pretty plant, and maybe it would be nice in the appropriate setting.

On Dec 15, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

A pretty flower but this plant can be invasive to say the least. It would be a fine addition to a wildflower garden but I would not advise planting it in a mixed border.