PlantFiles: Wakerobin, Stinking Benjamin
Trillium erectum

Family: Trilliaceae
Genus: Trillium (TRIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: erectum (ee-RECK-tum) (Info)

Pale Pink
Scarlet (Dark Red)
Pale Green

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By mosquitoflats

Thumbnail #6 of Trillium erectum by MeggMopp

By Galanthophile
Thumbnail #7 of Trillium erectum by Galanthophile

Neutral caseyann On Jul 15, 2012, caseyann from Livermore Falls, ME wrote:

I grew up finding the stinkin' benjamin in the woods behind my home in Livermore Falls, Maine. Back in the early 90s I remember even picking the flower as a child and having my mother tell me I couldn't bring it in the house because it smelled like rotting meat! I would never pick this endangered flower now ( although interestingly, I grew up with an avid florist mother, and we kids knew not to touch pink lady slippers and indian pipe because they were protected. )

Neutral jleigh On May 16, 2010, jleigh from Ballston Lake, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I recently saw a ton of the purple variety growing happily while on a hike in the Adirondack park. I am glad to see this plant, which I have seen listed as endangered in many states, thriving in this area.
I really wanted to take some home to my wooded garden, but in some states even picking the flowers is illegal, so I did not.

I do have to say they smelled horrible though... So perhaps they are better enjoyed from a distance anyway.

Positive Malus2006 On Apr 11, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

For those of us who live in alkaline or neutral regions, this species, Trillium erectum, which is often sold second only to Trillium grandiflorum in volume of trillium sold, is much more difficult to grow as T. erectum loves acidic soil. My grandma which have clay soil near a big old crabapple (now sadly dying) have a good size patch of it while in my yard many attempts to introduce them, includes even under evergreen trees had failed - the last planting have a few plants surived - they were almost unnoticed because they have white petals but a closer look last year confirms them to be T. erectum due to their smaller petals and darker flower center. I have never found a red one yet.

Edited Late May 2008: I have three huge trillium that after they opened their buds (I thought they were nodding trillum because of their leaf shapes) opened to reveal that they are red trillium! The smell of the flowers is just interesting not unpleasured - more like some kind of wine mixed with some kind of fermented fruit.

The flowers and the size of the plant vary over a large range as some of the pictures to the left had already shown - Author Case said that the longer petal forms tend to be part of its northern range while the smaller petals are the southern part of its range. They are not native to Minnesota. I also have the creamy white form which almost look like a separate species from the maroon form - the leaves are narrower and the petals are longer than the maroon form.

Positive milkbonehappy On Oct 11, 2007, milkbonehappy from Chester, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very common to find this plant in the woods near my house in Vermont. Lovely flower but relatively brief bloom time in spring.

Positive mgarr On May 2, 2007, mgarr from Hanover Twp., PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

A true plant for the shade woodland garden. It will self-sow very slowly because it takes 7 years from seed germination to a mature flowering plant, loves rich, acid soil.

Neutral joanvt On Jun 4, 2004, joanvt from Brattleboro, VT wrote:

This is wild in my mother-in-law's back yard. It's intermingled with the myrtle and a few plants pop up every year.

Positive MeggMopp On Jun 3, 2004, MeggMopp from Redford, MI wrote:

I have found this in my shady back yard in Redford, MI

Neutral poppysue On May 13, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is one of the most common trillium species on the eastern coast and can be found growing wild in moist, rich woods. The common name "Stinking Benjamin" refers to the foul odor of the flower which attracts carrion flies for pollination. Seeds develop inside a red, oval berry in late summer and early fall.

Blue Mountain, Alabama
Salem, Oregon
Laflin, Pennsylvania
Tidioute, Pennsylvania
Algood, Tennessee
Chester, Vermont (2 reports)
Newport Center, Vermont