PlantFiles: Hybrid Rugosa Rose
Rosa 'Therese Bugnet'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Therese Bugnet
Additional cultivar information: (aka Thrse Bugnet)
Hybridized by Bugnet; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1950

Shrub

Other Details:
Shade-tolerant

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by mgarr

By northgrass
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by northgrass

Neutral coriaceous On Sep 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A great rose for the far north, where it performs best. It is tough, vigorous, and even tolerates a little shade. It is very blackspot resistant, and is on the Montreal Botanic Garden's list of the most disease-resistant roses. It is also on the NYBG's Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden's list of 100 top performers (with no fungicide treatment for black spot).

Flowers are attractively untidy in the old-rose manner. They shed their petals cleanly on the shrub, but don't last as cut flowers.

Foliage is clean and attractive. Unlike most rugosa hybrids, it is smooth and unwrinkled.

Its growth is very upright, to 6' tall. The top 2-3' of the canes are thornless, smooth, and an attractive red in winter. Their bases are quite thorny. I find no tip dieback and almost no dead wood to prune out in the spring, here in Z6a.

This rose blooms on the growth of the previous season, and (except for the removal of dead wood) it should not be pruned before the major bloom flush in the spring. Pruning should be kept to a minimum, and restricted to removing dead, diseased, or damaged wood, or bloom will be affected.

Here in Boston Z6a, I see only an occasional flower after the first flush is over.

On its own roots, this cultivar suckers quite aggressively. I'm having to renovate a bed which it's taken over, crowding out the other roses. Between the suckering and the lack of rebloom, I'm disenchanted with this rose, despite its other virtues. Here in Z6a, there are many other better performers.

Neutral peteunia On Jun 4, 2013, peteunia from Clear Spring, MD wrote:

My Uncle gave 'Therese Bugnet' to my Mother as a gift. It was beautiful for quite a few years but then our tree cover got so dense that the rose began to decline. We finally dug it out but a few years later we saw it coming back. This year it got two flowers but they were red. How in the world did that happen?

Positive sshort On Apr 6, 2012, sshort from Kansas City, MO wrote:

Teresa Bugnet was a surprise rose, supposed to be a Baron Prevost in a group of heirloom roses. It took me forever to identify her but I loved her red canes in winter,arching vase shape, disease resistance, very light thorns and fragrance. I just kept moving her until she found her favorite spot, at the corner of my shed. She is the queen of my rose garden, making a beautiful backdrop for my more elegant fussy roses.

Positive valliebeth17 On Jun 25, 2011, valliebeth17 from Crown Point, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I came across this rose in my search for hardy, old-fashioned roses that survive a zone 4 winter. And does she ever! I've never had a single branch die out on me, and after four years she's pushing 8 feet high, one of the first roses to bloom for me. She keeps to herself, not spreading by root, but a true bush. The stems are also an attractive deep red through the winter.

Positive harper97 On Jun 5, 2010, harper97 from Pelham, NH wrote:

This rose was well-chosen to bloom by the back side of my 30' X 15' lily pond, as it is quite easy-care and I can't spray there for fear of killing the fish. It is smothered in deliciously-scented, bright fuchsia blooms each spring, reflecting gorgeously on the water just as my pink water lilies begin to bloom. It reblooms reliably, though I'm afraid the Japanese beetles love it as much as I do. A very strong grower, it is best grown in a location where suckering will not be a liability.

Positive einhverfr On May 17, 2010, einhverfr from Chelan, WA wrote:

I have a four-year-old, seven-foot-high shrub of this variety in my rose hedge. It's one of my favorite roses for hedges. It's a bit thinner, twiggier, and less thorny than other hybrid rugosas, and the foliage is rather... unusual.

However, the plant blooms with little to no pruning, withstands adverse weather quite well, and is very fragrant as well. Highly recommended.

Positive rabbitsdiner On May 8, 2010, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

This beauty is the first of my 70+ roses to bloom every spring. I give it no protection in our zone 5 winters, yet it has barely any die back, It gets no diseases, despite our hot humid Indiana summers. I use no pesticides. It is susceptible only to rose borers (no problem if you put glue on the tips where you have pruned) and japanese beetles (they attack flowers but not the foliage.) It's a gem.

Positive lingoch On Mar 1, 2010, lingoch from Montrose, CO wrote:

Wonderful low maintenance rose. Tough doesn't begin to explain the conditions we see here in SW Colorado. 50 to 60 mph winds in the Spring and she is exposed to them all. I only shape her to fit the location. I love the fact she sheds old blooms. Great wonderful experience. We see lows in the -teens and I leave the canes on all winter. Jer

Positive lincolngirl On May 3, 2007, lincolngirl from China Grove, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is such a beautiful rose, and grows beautifully. In poor clay soil in NC with some amendment added, it has adapted well and outperforms most other roses I have had. Truly a keeper! Not well suited for cut flowers, as the blooms soon drop their petals after cutting, still it is gorgeous to enjoy outdoors. Slightly fragrant with stunning color.

Positive dakotaroser On Jun 14, 2006, dakotaroser from Kingston, NH wrote:

my first rose to open up this year(after so much rain here in
southern New Hampshire) I watched the first bloom get beat
down by weeks worth of rain, it recovered and put on a
show day after day. The blooms don't last all that long but the
bush is loaded with blooms for weeks,
they are beautiful and have nice foliage and its a tall strong
rose bush. Its super hardy and I've moved it three times over the past year and a half and it
takes the dry or moist areas pretty well. I'm including many
of these rugoses around the yard, looking forward to the
fall rose hips and the reddish canes for winter. Hopefully
I'll put on some photos!

Positive sladeofsky On May 26, 2006, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

A very tough rose. It stands up to heat and humidity as well as extreme cold. Slightly stoloniforous, it is easy to propogate but not invasive.

Positive northgrass On Sep 30, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This rose forms a 4" shrub with reddish stems. It has not been bothered by anything in the 10 years since I planted it. With some fertilizing, it had repeat blooms this year. A worthwhile rose to grow if like me, you live where winter are very cold, Zone 4b. And not least, it is also fragrant.

Positive jsandco On Oct 21, 2004, jsandco from West Bend, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I like this rose. It's very hardy, doesn't seem to get black spot, has very fragrant flowers, good fall color ranging from maroon to yellow, and the canes turn a deep red in the winter. Occasional bright red hips. Does suffer from mildew in humid weather, but this usually clears up on it's own when the weather is drier. Blooms early, with lighter repeat bloom throughout the summer.

Positive Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

My favorite rose (so far) - the foliage was resistant to blackspot when other (OGR) roses were being seriously attacked. The branches are not as thorny as some, and the flowers are quite pretty and fragrant.

Neutral Grits On Feb 13, 2001, Grits from Pineville, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

1950 4-6' Flowers repeatedly Zones 3-9
This extremely hardy rose was developed by George Bugnet, of Alberta, Canada, where it gets very cold.

Clusters of from 3 - 5 buds with graceful slim sepals, open to good sized, fragrant, lilac pink very double flowers. The crinkled petals are distinctly veined. Makes a handsome plant with healthy foliage in a lovely shade of blue/green. Very few thorns on the green shaded red canes.

Anchorage, Alaska
Louisville, Kentucky
Taylorsville, Kentucky
Gretna, Louisiana
Clear Spring, Maryland
Brookline, Massachusetts (2 reports)
Roslindale, Massachusetts
Andover, Minnesota
Hopkins, Minnesota
Luverne, Minnesota
Winona, Minnesota
Kansas City, Missouri (2 reports)
Polson, Montana