PlantFiles: Hardy Gloxinia
Seemannia nematanthodes 'Evita'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Seemannia (see-MAHN-ee-a) (Info)
Species: nematanthodes
Cultivar: Evita

Synonym:Gloxinia nematanthodes

Red-Orange

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Thumbnail #1 of Seemannia nematanthodes by TomH3787

Thumbnail #2 of Seemannia nematanthodes by TomH3787

Thumbnail #3 of Seemannia nematanthodes by TomH3787

Positive congminglaoshi On Dec 30, 2009, congminglaoshi from Tuckahoe, NY wrote:

Wonderful plant, amazing bright red flowers. Blooms a long time from midsummer till frost. Good in containers and pots, even have some which thrive outside in a protected spot along a wall at work, a slightly colder area than where I live just outside of NYC.

Positive Terry On Sep 26, 2009, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I saw this plant at the Raulston Arboretum, blooming heavily in late September. Extremely eye-catching! I'll be hunting down my own plant by spring, I'm sure, although I'm not sure it's completely hardy here in zone 6b. (I can always keep it in a container and move it to the garage to overwinter.

Positive pyromomma On Nov 19, 2008, pyromomma from Columbia, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Not my experience (yet) but this was written about this plant at the Plant Delights Nursery in NC . I have not dealt with them , but this is what they have to say about his plant:
LLM
>>>
"Gloxinia nematanthodes 'Evita' (Evita Hardy Gloxinia)
Gloxinia nematanthodes 'Evita' (Evita Hardy Gloxinia)
Part Sun to Light Shade Zone: 7b-9,
at least 12" tall
Origin: Argentina
.....new addition to our list of winter-hardy gesneriads. G. nematanthodes 'Evita' is late to emerge...usually June in NC. The compact 1' tall x 1' wide clump of soft green foliage is topped starting in August with 1" long bells of the most brilliant orange-red that we have ever seen on anything other than a custom Ferrari. For us, flowering continues until frost. G. nematanthodes also spreads by above ground stolons, soon making a wonderful groundcover. If you like brilliant colors, grab your camera and sunglasses."

Umatilla, Florida