Humulus lupulus

Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus (HUM-uh-lus) (Info)
Species: lupulus (lup-OO-lus) (Info)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Cottage Grove, Wisconsin

Dubois, Wyoming

On Feb 3, 2013, francisca from san vicente
Chile wrote:

I got a few stems from an old german man down south, planted them in my garden three months ago. They are steadily growing, eagerly creeping up the ropes we set for them. But we do not know what variety they are......anyone know how can I find out?

On May 15, 2011, micheflowers from Peoria, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant has been very invasive in my yard. It has crawled all over the ground and up and over the fence to cover the
mock orange. I thought I had removed most of it last year but it's up stronger than ever this year. It is a beautiful vine but I would only recommend it if you have a farm or acreage. I was unaware that it can cause skin irritants and after trying to remove it last year I had a swollen arm that broke out and was full of itchy scratchy lesions for almost 6 weeks!

I also have a client that has the hops vine planted on a very large fence and it is completely out of control and growing all over her beds. Her landscaper has repeatedly tried to dig it out but cannot get all of it. Her vine is in 100 percent sun and mine is in the shade and it has thri... read more

On Aug 4, 2009, NTOLERANCE from Cottage Grove, WI wrote:

I currently have 4 Humulus Lupus varieties growing in my yard: Bianca, Golden, Cascade and Nugget. As a homwe brewer, I planned to use these in my brews, but as statd above, the properties of each hops vary greatly depending on a number of factors regarding soil, climate, ect. This can affect the flavor and characteristic of your beer. I use them now for aroma in my beer, by dry hopping them in the kegs or secondary fermentation. They will not add to the bitterness of the brew in this use, only in aroma. I would suggest that the location of your hops be thought out thoroughly. Most hops desire full sun, but some require partial sun/shade. Planting them near trees isnt something I would recommend if youre planning to harvest the hops, as the vines will wrap themselves around any tree/plant... read more

On May 5, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grabbed a clone from user "JamesCO"...let me tell you, this is an amazing plant...it's growing almost 1/4" a day under a kitchen light, and it's only just now sprouting roots from the rhizome.

On Dec 30, 2008, Robubba from Moulton, IA wrote:

I read this plant doesn't do very well with companions because it sucks tons of nutrients. Clover would probably be the best nitrogen replacing companion I could think of.

On Aug 4, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

I love this leafy thing. I also happen to like the feel of the bristly twining stems. A supurb plant for the novice. Even in a very hot, very dry climate, it thrives. I will add some unsaid notes about it:

The roots ( not runners) point out at angles from the root ball, some running parallel to the soil surface, others strait down. These can be more than nine feet long after the plant's second year. (I love to dig) This characteristic makes it excellent for drought-plagued areas or xeriscaping, being able to tap water sources lower than even most trees go.

Another note as to an invasive nature: Not naturally. An interesting thing I found with two plants, both moved in February to a new site; was that the plant whose root ball was buried at soil-level ... read more

On Mar 10, 2004, Pameladragon from Appomattox, VA wrote:

Hops is a plant that has been grown in kitchen gardens for centuries. We brew our own beer but don't used the hops we grow because it is too difficult to control the quality of the active substances.

However, it is a wonderful vine for covering fences or unsightly mounds in your yard and will return every year from the roots. It grows on our pasture fences and the horses leave it alone because of the stem spines.

The female flowers are the source of lupulin, the essential oil that makes beer both bitter and fragrant, depending of the variety grown. I find the scent very pleasant and it does have a mild soporific affect, making it an excellent ingredient for filling Dream Pillows.

Grow from seed or buy roots in the spring of established cultiv... read more

On May 2, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

A rather coarse, tough vine climbing by tendril-like tips to the twining stems. The backward-pointing, stiff hairs provide extra anchorage but can give a painful scratch. Cultivated plants are trained up strings supported by tall poles in fields. Tough fibres from the stems have been used in the manufacture of cloth and a form of paper has also been made from the stems.

Tips of young shoots are edible and can be used fresh in salads or cooked like Asparagus, the latter method being favoured by the Romans. Hops produce the characteristic bitter taste of beer, a use extending at least back to the Middle Ages. Extracts from the female flowers have a mild sedative action and have been used for insomnia and nervous ailments.