PlantFiles: Hairy Gourd, Haired Gourd, Fuzzy Gourd, Fuzzy Squash, Mao Gua, Mao Qua, Hairy Cucumber
Benincasa hispida var. chieh-gua 'Chinese Fuzzy'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Benincasa (ben-in-KAH-suh) (Info)
Species: hispida var. chieh-gua
Cultivar: Chinese Fuzzy
Additional cultivar information: (aka Fuzzy Squash, Fuzzy Melon)

Vegetables

Not Applicable

By lexiekinz
Thumbnail #1 of Benincasa hispida var. chieh-gua by lexiekinz

Positive lexiekinz On Aug 21, 2011, lexiekinz from Lakeland, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted 5 seeds. Only one germinated. That one plant has been going and going and going. I have feed a village with the squash from this single vine and here it is August in Florida and has 7 16" plus fruit on the vine today.

The fruit is bland like a cucumber but the texture is a little toothier than a cuke. Season how you like. It takes on the flavor of what ever you cook it with. I like it with tomato, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Or with onion and curry powder. I've had so much squash that my mother and I canned some with tomato's and onion, too. Yummy!

I will plant this again simple because it's such a great producer -- not a single problem with squash borers or with powdery mildew.

Neutral Farmerdill On Sep 18, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A small hairy fruit (8-14 x 3/4 inch), 5-15 lb. (60 day) Eaten immature like summer squash.

Lakeland, Florida