Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Hairy Gourd, Haired Gourd, Fuzzy Gourd, Fuzzy Squash, Mao Gua, Mao Qua, Hairy Cucumber 'Chinese Fuzzy'

Benincasa hispida var. chieh-gua

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Benincasa (ben-in-KAH-suh) (Info)
Species: hispida var. chieh-gua
Cultivar: Chinese Fuzzy
Additional cultivar information:(aka Fuzzy Squash, Fuzzy Melon)

Vegetables

Not Applicable

Lakeland, Florida

positive

On Aug 21, 2011, lexiekinz from Lakeland, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted 5 seeds. Only one germinated. That one plant has been going and going and going. I have feed a village with the squash from this single vine and here it is August in Florida and has 7 16" plus fruit on the vine today.

The fruit is bland like a cucumber but the texture is a little toothier than a cuke. Season how you like. It takes on the flavor of what ever you cook it with. I like it with tomato, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Or with onion and curry powder. I've had so much squash that my mother and I canned some with tomato's and onion, too. Yummy!

I will plant this again simple because it's such a great producer -- not a single problem with squash borers or with powdery mildew.

On Sep 18, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A small hairy fruit (8-14 x 3/4 inch), 5-15 lb. (60 day) Eaten immature like summer squash.