Island Bush Snapdragon, Island Snapdragon

Galvezia speciosa

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Galvezia (gal-VAYZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Richmond, California

San Rafael, California

Spring Valley, California

On Mar 11, 2014, econte530 from San Rafael, CA wrote:

San Rafael, CA. Part to full sun.

Gorgeous foliage year round, but doesn't bloom as much as I thought it would. I planted one last june? in a brand new raised bed that everything else is thriving in. It is about 3' tall and wide, but I have trimmed it a few times. It only bloomed late summer and early fall. Hopefully this year it will have a longer bloom time. Deer love it, so a fence or spray is necessary.

On May 12, 2013, cloud91977 from Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here in SS zone 24, USDA zone 10w, I have three plants growing around the yard.

In a mostly shaded spot (under a magnolia), in sandy loam, this plant grows slower, taller, and blooms much less than those in the sun. It gets hosed off every couple of weeks when it's hot but otherwise survives on what little winter rainfall we get here in So Cal. After two years it's about 3' high and a little less wide.

In an open sunny spot, exposed to hot winds, the plant is wider, lower, and blooms profusely in the spring and then enough to keep the hummers coming all summer. It grows in soil that is heavier in clay content, gets watered deeply only when it rains heavily, and otherwise is hosed off lightly every week or two during the summer. After two years it's probably... read more

On Sep 23, 2006, Gina_Rose from Hollywood, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I rated it neutral b/c I haven't grown it, but would like to. Here's info I've collected so far:
The width I gave the plant is mainly for the plant when it reaches maturity, but it's a spreading groundcover and I read reports that it has spread to up to 15'.
It's a native to CA, the Channel Islands, and it's habitat is rocky cliffs & canyons.
If grown near the coast, it likes full sun and can be drought tolerant, but inland it needs more shade and water.

It's considered endangered in some of it's native areas.