Glade Mallow
Napaea dioica

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Napaea (na-PAY-uh) (Info)
Species: dioica (dy-oh-EE-kuh) (Info)

Waterman, Illinois

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Warren, Michigan

On Jun 6, 2013, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a plant that I think should be used more, especially by those gardeners looking for a 'tropical' effect. Yes, it's a Midwest native, but the large leaves and lush growth of the plant make it seem more like something from the Amazon.

The description above lists the height at six feet, but this refers to the flower stalks. My plant is quite mature, I've had it for 13 years, and it gets four feet tall by four to five feet wide. The tiny little white mallow flowers are at the tops of tall stems; I usually remove the flowering stem when it appears as the flowers aren't particularly attractive and I see no point in having the plant expend energy on unwanted flowers.

I strongly disagree with the part about keeping this plant constantly moist. Mine grows i... read more

On Sep 8, 2009, scirpidiella from Pińczw
Poland (Zone 6b) wrote:

I cultivate this species from seeds. Plants are full frost hardy in Poland (zone 6). My plants grow in light shade on sandy soil.

On Jul 9, 2008, pastime from Waterman, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted it several years ago, but lost the tag. Plant was idenified this year for me by Ken Robertson of the Illinois Natural HIstory Society at the University of IL. It's growing well in full sun, gravely soil (old driveway), but I do water it.

Napaea dioica is dioecious (male and female plants), diploid. It was introduced by John Clayton in his Flora Virginica and taken up by Karl von Linne (Linnaeus) in his Species Plantarum. As the starting point for nomenclatural priority is the Species Plantarum, authorship is conventionally ascribed to Linnaeus.

It's found in the wild in WI, IL, VA, VT, and parts of PA. It is on the endangered list in Minnesota.

On May 28, 2007, Lady_fern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

The main attraction is the large leaves. They are very structural in the shade garden where most plants are smaller. This plant even thrives under a walnut tree with no apparent ill effects!