PlantFiles: Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj
Gardenia jasminoides 'Aimee'

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Aimee
Additional cultivar information: (First Love)

Synonym:Gardenia angusta
Synonym:Gardenia augusta
Synonym:Gardenia florida
Synonym:Gardenia grandiflora
Synonym:Gardenia radicans

Blue-Green

Flowers are good for cutting

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #5 of Gardenia jasminoides by Aslan89

By Aslan89
Thumbnail #6 of Gardenia jasminoides by Aslan89

Positive FraniS On Jun 7, 2013, FraniS from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

I have this gardenia and it's bloomed well for several years. But every year it gets a bad infestation of scale. Is there a systemic I can use to prevent this?

Positive Aslan89 On Apr 12, 2012, Aslan89 from Harlingen, TX wrote:

Very beautiful gardenia! Large flowers, fairly quick growth, and very floriferous in my opinion. I know someone else had mentioned that it wasn't but it has bloomed at least as much as my 'august beauty' gardenias (which was a lot this year). I just uploaded a new picture of my large tree version that is full of blooms now. It has about 18 open blooms on it and I would estimate about 100 buds growing. It seems like new ones open every day :)

Neutral musaboru On Nov 12, 2011, musaboru from Ontario, CA wrote:

Huge flowers but not as floriferous as other varieties. I personally won't be buying this one again anytime soon and will focus on the smaller and more floriferous varieties such as Chuck Hayes.

This is in response to Aslan89: The plants I comparing it to were smaller size plant. I did see some larger mature plants and they had lots of flowers! It is quite florific. :)

Positive daddysgirl1800 On Nov 1, 2010, daddysgirl1800 from Lake City, TN wrote:

I bought two of the Aimee Gardenias and they are growing fast! I love them, they are very beautiful and healthy plants! I will buy from her again! Thanks, Jacquie!

Negative WendyRands On Jul 6, 2010, WendyRands from Westwood, MA wrote:

I bought this plant in May, because I love the intoxicating scent of gardenia. Unfortunately since taking it home, it has started looking terrible! (I live a little south of Boston). I put it on my sunny deck, and noticed that the leaves are turning yellow, and the unopened blooms have turned brown. I don't know if it has a disease, or if it's something I can fix, but I am so disappointed! If anyone has any ideas...(???)

Positive JBerger On Jul 26, 2009, JBerger from Wrightstown, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had this Aimee Gardenia Tree since May of this year. It has not stopped blooming since then. I have it in full sun and give it water everyday. It will be a Greenhouse plant come Winter. I cut the flowers for use in vases in the house. The cuttings are rooting after the blooms are removed. The plant is growing new growths where I cut blooms. Completely remarkable, beautiful plant.
It is also known as Aimee Yoshioka developed by Tadaoki Yoshioka in Hawaii. It is named after his daughter who was killed in a plane crash in Dallas in 1984.

Positive passiflora07 On Mar 26, 2009, passiflora07 from Fern Park, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Just got one of these today, and it smells HEAVENLY, and the blooms are stunning! Mine is pruned into a little topiary-looking tree. We'll see how it does...

Positive TLeaves On Aug 23, 2007, TLeaves from Ramona, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

My favorite gardenia cultivar. Very large, beautiful, fragrant flowers.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 24, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Has fully double, 4-5" wide, creamy white blooms.

AKA 'Aimee'.