Snowdrop Anemone
Anemone sylvestris

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anemone (uh-NEM-oh-nee) (Info)
Species: sylvestris (sil-VESS-triss) (Info)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Wasilla, Alaska

Arlington, Virginia

Olympia, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin

On Jul 26, 2015, Rosiespring from Custer, SD wrote:

Very pretty white blossoms, 3", tall stems. Mixed shade, medium water. Mine bloom for about a month. I had one small plant 2 yrs ago - now 2-3' across. Attractive leaves, interesting shape. Soil here is neutral to somewhat alkaline.

On Jun 16, 2014, Seaglass from Madison, WI wrote:

This plant grows well in southern WI in clay soil. It, along with its fall blooming cousins, is one of the few flowering plants that will thrive under black walnut!

On Apr 20, 2013, Emily777 from Barlow, OR wrote:

Very easy to grow here mine have thrived even with heavy clay soil, hot full summer sun and very wet winter/spring conditions. I wouldn't consider these invasive but it could be my soil keeping them from rapidly spreading..? I read these bloom in spring and fall yet even in winter I had a few blooms on each plant. Very attractive foliage, blooms are long-lasting when used in cut arrangements.

On May 27, 2012, Chiggi from Benton Harbor, MI wrote:

Every time I try to post something about the snowdrop anenome this box comes up and I don't have an opportunity to post my experiences with the flower.

'm done!

On Jul 10, 2011, BlueBlossoms from Bolingbrook, IL wrote:

So far I've had a very positive experience with this plant (zone 5). It was a gift from a friend (from her garden). She had hers under a large tree and it was blooming wonderfully. I put one in full sun (harsh afternoon) and one in filtered sun (AM sun only) and the one with AM sun seems to be doing better. Both are fine, but the one with less harsh sun seems to be flourishing. I love the clumping form (very neat in appearance) and the delicate little flowers.

On Jul 3, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A long bloom in my garden ... though most of the bloom is early on, it blooms from April to November. Needs a bit of room to spread.

On May 11, 2011, zenmom from Salem, MA wrote:

I like this simple little flower and the puff-ball that follows it. In Colorado it reseeded itself but was not invasive for me. Here in Salem, MA I've been nursing along one teeny plant for several years, and it hasn't spread at all. I think I'm going to harvest some seeds and try to propagate in trays.

On May 3, 2011, ge1836 from Pittsford, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have grown this plant in bright shade for four years.
Its beautiful in May but not well behaved even with deadheading.
Invasive is putting it mildly.It has grown into Pumilla Astilbes and it will come out this spring even if I have to loose neighboring Astilbies and Cyclamine.
I would not choose it again for anywhere unless it was an area where there is nothing else..

On May 28, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I'm not normally too excited about white flowers, but these are really pretty. I've been told that if I leave the flowers on, they will self-seed and produce more -- and I would love for that to happen. This is a really nice flowering perennial for the shade. Update Spring 2011 - I see a couple more of these coming up, so they do self-seed, but so far nothing more than I would have wanted. Also, even after they finish blooming, the foliage remains attractive all season.

On May 26, 2010, Zaltys from Ikaalinen
Finland wrote:

Thrives in harsh conditions.
I planted these in a dry spot under canopy. Partial shade. No rainfall and I never water them. Yet every year they flower and spread further, almost invasive.

Do not handle with gloves, in my opinion these sting worse than nettles if touched.

On Jun 17, 2009, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I got this plant from my grandparents. The first year it had around 3 flowers. Now, four or five years later, it produced around 140 flowers.

I've heard it goes dormant in summer, but mine don't, even the ones growing in hot sun.

It spreads by underground stolons: little plantlets appear about a foot away from the mother plant. I recommend restraining the plant when you first get it, or it will spread over a large area in just a few years.

On Aug 28, 2008, cedar18 from Lula, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Bright shade is working for me with this plant; having fall rebloom now.

On May 4, 2008, Illoquin from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have always wanted this plant and finally started a big bunch from Wsd seed in 2007. They bloomed this year, but I was so disappointed by where I planted them..next to some late blooming white daffodils with a small yellow cup. You can't tell where the Anemones start and the daffodils end. LOL! I was very surprised that the flowers really stand up and above and away from the foliage.

If you ever grow these, put them where the white flowers will really stand out and be counted! They are lovely!

On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Short 16" - Plant 12" apart. Zone 4-9 Fragrant satiny white nodding flowers in May and June. Best in a humusy soil in bright shade. Flowers fade to form cottony seed heads. Can repeat bloom in fall's cooler weather. Unlike it's fall blooming cousins, this Anemone shines in the spring.

On Jun 1, 2004, del214 from Port Huron, MI wrote:

Given plants from neighbor's yard and they've thrived wherever planted (full sun to light shade, sandy loam soil). The plant is mildly invasive enabling me to share with others Have had a second blooming in late summer if I deadhead spent flowers, but love the look of the puff balls too. Zone 5 spring weather allows for a blooming period of several weeks.