Rock Purslane

Calandrinia spectabilis

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Calandrinia (ka-lan-DREEN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: spectabilis (speck-TAB-ih-liss) (Info)

Not Applicable

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Blooms all year

From leaf cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Anthem, Arizona

Camarillo, California

Carmel, California

Cathedral City, California

Corona, California

Hayward, California (2 reports)

Los Angeles, California

Napa, California

Palmdale, California

Ramona, California

Richmond, California

Salinas, California

San Clemente, California

San Francisco, California (3 reports)

San Luis Obispo, California

Walnut Creek, California

On Sep 7, 2015, hondoco from Santa Ana, CA wrote:

still learning

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I have variable luck with Calandrinia spectabilis. But it is so lovely I don't mind growing it as an annual. It is easily rooted from cuttings. I often lose it to summer heat but it survives winter, including this winter's freeze of 26F. I grow it in partial shade, and it seems to want more sun, but a plant I tried in half day sun did not survive.

On Feb 12, 2013, AmanitaM from Portland
United States wrote:

I read on a seller's site that this plant is Zone 8 hardy. So I put it to the test, and my Zone 9 winter (24F) nearly killed it, but I believe it will resprout. It *might* be Zone 8 hardy with a dry winter, something I will never see here in Portland.

On Jul 20, 2012, Susi_So_Callif from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is wonderful - carefree and quick to multiply. I believe it is the same plant identified elsewhere as Calandrinia grandiflora.

On Dec 8, 2011, boomboer from Cape Town
South Africa wrote:

What a nice addition to any garden - the magenta pink poppy-ish flowers float over a thick carpet of bluegreen echeveria-like foliage down below.
A word of warning - when Calandrinia is happy - it simply explodes in growth! A plant with one rosette can grow to a clump with 30+ rosettes, 2 to 3 feet in diameter in a single spring and summer...
Growth can be curbed by limiting water, but it responds well to pruning also and you can root the cuttings and give to friends and family - spread the joy.

On Jan 17, 2010, annlof from Camarillo, CA wrote:

For people who live in dry, cool climates like coastal California, this plant is a real winner. I can't see why it isn't planted more often! The succulent blue-green foliage is very attractive at all times, and the purple-magenta flowers seem to float above the plant for months on end. Don't deadhead! Each stem keeps producing flowers for many weeks. Calandrinias need cool summers and excellent drainage, lots of sun and little water. This site recommends spacing 12 inches apart but my plants quickly grew to 2-3 feet wide. Pruned branch tips root easily in moist sand.