PlantFiles: Yellow Archangel
Lamium galeobdolon

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lamium (LAY-mee-um) (Info)
Species: galeobdolon (gay-lee-OB-doh-lon) (Info)

Synonym:Lamiastrum galeobdolon
Synonym:Galeobdolon luteum

Variegated

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Lamium galeobdolon by taramark

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #7 of Lamium galeobdolon by kennedyh

Negative madebydave On Jul 1, 2013, madebydave from New Ulm, MN wrote:

As beautiful as this plant is, it is very invasive. It covers a steep hill in dry shade behind our house. If it would stay there, I would like it better, but it invades anywhere it can by fast growing runners. I finally built a fence out of window screening and buried the edge under landscape fabric. It still finds any little chink in the armor. A constant battle.

Neutral Sunny_Budzma On Mar 21, 2013, Sunny_Budzma from Battle Ground, WA wrote:

Good: This plant is fast growing & flourishes in full shade as a ground cover under mature fir trees or under the eves on the north side of the house i.e. in areas where nothing but ferns will grow. In this situation, it looks great year round; the verigated foliage brightens up the shade & masses of yellow spikes remain erect even during heavy spring rain. It can easily be contained with a quick pass of the lawn mower around the perimeter of the bed its in.

Bad: If you can't (or won't ) mow around it look out. It chokes out other low growing plants & quickly spreads by seed & runner and is very resilient. Also, if you plant it where it gets afternoon sun in the summer, it sunburns and looks awful. Leave one node in the ground and it comes right back and away it goes. Do not put it in your compose pile!!

Neutral tendocalcaneus On Jan 9, 2013, tendocalcaneus from New York, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've been growing this plant in garden spaces in Manhattan, NYC, for years where I am a community gardener. In some spots it needs regular "editing" so it doesn't spread beyond a reasonable area. It's been most useful in preventing digging by rodents (ie, rats), which can be a problem in city gardens. It grows thickly and critters can't penetrate it. As long as it behaves by staying put, more or less, I think it's an attractive and useful ground cover. After flowering, it's a good idea to cut off seed heads if you don't want the plant to spread. Still its growing shoots are primed for spreading, as with many other plants in the mint family, and it's important to maintain control by pruning especially late spring and into summer.

Neutral grik On Jun 22, 2011, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I probably wouldn't plant this today due to it being invasive some places.

That said, I had never heard of it when I purchased it many years ago and planted it under a blue spruce. It grew and looks great. I bet there is nothing else that would grow in the dense dry shade beneath that tree. It brightens it up considerably.

It has not spread outside the bounds I've allotted for it but I know it bears watching.

Neutral Arden2 On May 28, 2011, Arden2 from Olympia, WA wrote:

In western Washington, attractive in hanging basket. Invasive in plantings. Roots at each node and travels (leaps) through desireable plants. Hard to pull. One missed piece, and it spreads all over again. Mine started when it touched down from a cascading pot planting. I put it at the bottom of my list with creeping Jenny, and St. John's wort. All great plants, but only if they can be isolated and rigidly controlled..

Negative bellbrat1971 On May 13, 2011, bellbrat1971 from Green Bay, WI wrote:

I had no idea what I was going to be dealing with when we bought our home a year ago as the flower beds were "developing". In the front bed (shady with overhang) and at the rear of the property (full sun) was this lovely green ground cover with yellow flowers....I have since discovered how horribly invasive this stuff is. I would wish the botanists who "invented" this particular species to be entwined in it for all eternity!! I'm hoping Round-up might kill it. As has been stated before it has a massive, crawling root system and short of digging up the entire beds, well, as much as I hate using the stuff, Round-up it is!! WARNING: DON'T PLANT THIS STUFF!!!

Neutral DMersh On Apr 30, 2011, DMersh from Perth
United Kingdom (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the wild, uncultivated plant, most of the pictures on this entry are of variegated cultivars, the wild plant has solid green leaves.

Positive pjoid123 On Jul 26, 2010, pjoid123 from Spotsylvania, VA wrote:

Got about 10 plants from a neighbor in my subdivision a year ago. I've planted them in full sun, partial shade and full shade. They are all growing vigorously. I even use them as accents in hanging baskets. They have nicely covered the ground (hard Virginia clay) in several areas where nothing much else seemed to grow. I do, however, keep them away from several of my landscaped areas. This fall I will remove them from the hanging baskets and plant them in other barren areas. A great plant if kept under control.

Neutral micky2 On Apr 22, 2010, micky2 from Charlotte, NC wrote:

This plant is beautiful and grows VERY fast and lush. However, until the second year I didn't know it flowered and had seeds that could blow around my yard. If it escapes the large planter box, this experience will quickly turn negative. Next year I'll cut off the flowers as soon as they come out.

Positive Susan_C On Jul 1, 2009, Susan_C from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have Yellow Archangel in a difficult spot where I've had trouble getting anything to thrive; The very end corner of a north-facing bed that is choked with pine tree roots. It is behaving nicely there and lights up that dark corner. If anything, I wish it would spread a little faster! I think the best use for this plant is in dry shade. -For that situation, it is a treasure.

Positive Nina_Lou On May 1, 2004, Nina_Lou from Monett, MO wrote:

We have two huge iron pots (once used for washing clothes or scalding hogs), and this plant grows in these two pots regardless of weather, light or water. Stays pretty nearly all winter. Pots are hung by large chains from tree limbs and the runners are beautiful hanging down the sides of the pots. For a long time I did not know the name of the plant and had to take a sample to a nursery in order to obtain more plants. From one pot I divided the plant and both of these huge pots are full and beautiful. Have not planted it in the ground. We had trouble getting anything to grow in these pots. The pots do have drain holes in the bottom. We occasionally put Miracle Grow in the soil, and they grow and bloom beautifully. I am not a gardner as we work all the time, but these plants have needed very little care to be extremely pretty. Thank you.

Neutral NorthernGoldie On Sep 15, 2003, NorthernGoldie wrote:

Im in Edmonton, Alberta - and this plant is ironclad hardy here (zone 3a) I grow it in big pots for its very handsome cascading foliage - personally I dont much care if it blooms. I drop the pots right into the veg garden for winter, and pull them out in spring. Ive got it in a dry shade area between two houses where nothing else grows, and you guessed it - it positively thrives, choking out weeds very nicely........which is why I will NEVER plant it with other desired plants again - its as aggressive as aegopodium in my garden, and getting its roots out from under a purple leafed sandcherry was a task Im unwilling to do again.

Positive Meandy On Sep 5, 2003, Meandy from Tipton, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted this several years ago in a problem area that is not only shady but full of small tree stumps. It has performed so well and spread out and over all the stumps and filled in that area really well. I also started more of it on the north side of my house since I seem to have trouble getting a lot of things to grow there.

Positive Azalea On Sep 4, 2003, Azalea from Jonesboro, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant grows well in sun or shade. It is also known as "Herman's Pride, or "Aluminum Plant" and does well in baskets or as a ground cover. The yellow blooms are striking in the spring. Easy to propagate by cuttings, the more it is cut back, the bushier it will be.

Neutral pleb On Sep 4, 2003, pleb from Plymouth,
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

The original unvariagated plant grows wild down here in SW England. It is to be found in woodland where it flowers before the leaves of the trees are fully out. The variagated form often escapes from gardens and can be found in shady spots where it's vigorous nature allows it to compete.

Positive lupinelover On May 30, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

It actually competes on a strong basis with lemon balm! If you have a large problem area, give this plant a try. It may be difficult to locate in commerce, but it has earned its keep in my shady garden.

Positive smiln32 On Aug 8, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I am using this as a houseplant and it's doing beautifully. Needs a fair amount of water, although, if it starts to wilt, give it a drink and it will look great again in no time.

Negative philomel On May 18, 2002, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a very beautiful plant which seduced me into adding it to my collection of Lamiums. However whereas the others gently seeded around, this sent out invasive runners and made itself far too at home. I am now finding it impossible to eradicate from around some very choice plants that it is throttling.

I feel its place is in the wild garden, or as groundcover in an awkward spot (it tolerates dry shade) but not near anything you treasure. With a dedicated patch to itself, it puts on a very handsome show.

Positive bmuller On May 3, 2002, bmuller from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant has grown well for me in the high desert in somewhat dry shade, under junipers, where there are tree roots to contend with. It blooms here in May, generally--small but attractive yellow blooms that complement the variegated leaves beautifully. It can be propagated easily from cuttings--just pop them into a jar of water. I don't know about seed collection--haven't tried.

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Young America, Minnesota
Monett, Missouri
Bolton Landing, New York
Croton On Hudson, New York
New York City, New York (2 reports)
Oyster Bay, New York
Salem, Oregon
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Crossville, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Leesburg, Virginia