PlantFiles: Dregea
Dregea sinensis

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dregea (DRAY-gee-uh) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)

Synonym:Wattakaka sinensis

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

By philomel
Thumbnail #3 of Dregea sinensis by philomel

By PerennialGirl
Thumbnail #4 of Dregea sinensis by PerennialGirl

Neutral mjsponies On Jan 20, 2010, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

** Update, this has got to be the slowest growing vine I've ever seen. No bloom yet, and I've got two plants, one in part sun/shade, one in mostly sun...neither is doing anything to impress me yet.
I purchased the seeds for this and could not find any germination info, so I just sowed them in a well drained seedling mix, barely covered and kept them around 70-75º....came up in about a week.

Positive philomel On Jun 14, 2009, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenées
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have been very pleasantly surprised that this plant has thrived here in SW France. I have planted it in a sheltered spot, with its roots under other plants and twining in with wisteria, Trachelospermum jasminoides and Clematis armandii. We are only zone 8a, though admittedly last winter was not too severe - going down to about -7C.
The plant has put on a lot of growth (to around 2m so far), is flowering well and threatening to strangle the elaeagnus it is planted next to.
The scent is sweet and pervading, though not quite as strong as the Trachelospermum jasminoides next to it.

Calistoga, California